Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Jack !! I think we all think very similar thoughts on the matter , and it has been discussed a great length in other threads , but some one just told me that my IM's are worth $200 less each , because I took the blue stickers off :hilarious:

thing is , they aint for Sale !!!

and never willl be , so they can stick thier 200 sweats up thier back side !!

try taking the stickers off this ::

picture.php

and see if they still say its lost 200 sweats !! , maybe to them ??

but not to True Collectors of fine steel :D

farking getting sick of know it alls again !!

I would buy that opened or sealed and with or without stickers. Anything batman.... Im there!!

I open most of mine. Not all are open but at some point when I want to watch it, it will be opened. NO DOUBLE DIPS HERE to keep steels sealed. Dont get it when others opt for streaming to keep the steels sealed. PQ and AQ are not the same.

I open mine as I like to know they are perfect and I also prefer sometimes to buy a opened Steelbook that is as new to a new sealed one as chances are the sealed ones could be damaged behind the j cards.

Just bought the marvel collection opened recently and everything is perfect no damage whatsoever,on a side note the glue on the uk cards defo remove as they stain the steel could also dent them if kept on if there is a lot. Of glue.

I had a few stains from the residue to remove it Use a cloth and aftershave and then polish it after with mr sheen voila stain gone and the steel is smelling fresh for a night out with the lads ;).

Last edited:
The biggest Part of my Steelbooks (239) are still sealed and with all stickers except pricetags. For me Steelbooks are just collectibles and for watching the movies I buy an additional Amaray.

The biggest Part of my Steelbooks (239) are still sealed and with all stickers except pricetags. For me Steelbooks are just collectibles and for watching the movies I buy an additional Amaray.

The Steelbooks with a lot of glue in the back I open. I can't let it lead to a dent or paint chip. I've been downsizing my collection and a good number of members don't want open steels. If you don't plan on trading/selling them to get other Steelbooks than I understand why you open them. If you are keen to trading/selling it's best to keep them sealed.

Last edited:
I open mine usually, as I bought them to watch, not to sell. I do get that folks don't want to open to avoid loss in value and I'd do just that if I had enough money to double dip! No way am I gonna buy a plastic case to watch along with a steelbook of the same movie to sell the SB later - my preeecioussss!

Reactions: frankfish44
Just to keep that clear, I don't keep my Steelbooks sealed because of the value for selling them. I like the look of some sealed Steelbooks with the stickers like these from Future Shop, FNAC or other french releases. For me personally the Steelbooks look more valuable. The second point is that from some releases I buy more than one Steelbook from different countries if there is a difference like slips, stickers oder similar. How can I identify them when they are unsealed? ;)

Lately I have been keeping most sealed ( and if I already have the movie on blu - transformers,zombieland,iron man ect...)

I recently decided to open the few potter steels that I have mainly because the wraps were in such bad shape!

So i prefer to keep most sealed!

I like to open mine. But unfortunately I have been buying ones that are too expensive for me to open haha. Trying to get better about it

As a rule, my steels are all sealed. If I happen to want to watch the movie and the steel is not too valuable, I will unseal it.

I treat my CDs the same way too. I only unseal them when I want to listen to them. As a result, I have more than 100 (maybe even 200) sealed CDs. And I never sell my CDs.

As a rule, my steels are all sealed. If I happen to want to watch the movie and the steel is not too valuable, I will unseal it.

I treat my CDs the same way too. I only unseal them when I want to listen to them. As a result, I have more than 100 (maybe even 200) sealed CDs. And I never sell my CDs.

Lifestyles of the rich and the famous :p

Yours is a collection I'd really like to see

Last edited: