Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Zavvi.com

10908461-1395137211-784357.jpg

10908461-1395137211-784318.jpg

10908461-1395137211-784055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This was always going to get bad reviews, it is a remake which guarantees poor reviews if the original is well thought of. I will be giving this one a chance, just as I did with Total Recall which I actually thought wasn't too bad.

Reactions: psychoscot
The reviews have been 50/50 so far :)

More 70/30 so far from what I have read :D I'll give it my verdict on Friday but I still don't hold high hopes for this.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Me too, in fact, if you go in not expecting too much, you might be pleasantly surprised

That is what I am secretly hoping for as I am still a massive Robocop fan :)

I like the original RoboCop and I quote like that there's a 'newer' version with updated cgi etc. Just like the original Total Recall, I loved the original but open to a remake/newer version, and I quite liked it. Hopefully seeing this on Friday.

Also, the steel looks quite nice and vibrant, shame it'll most likely be matte finish.

I like the original RoboCop and I quote like that there's a 'newer' version with updated cgi etc. Just like the original Total Recall, I loved the original but open to a remake/newer version, and I quite liked it. Hopefully seeing this on Friday.

Also, the steel looks quite nice and vibrant, shame it'll most likely be matte finish.
Agree like the original but still looking forward to remakes

Watched this last night and the haters are going to be pissed. At a private screening with around 40 people of various movie tastes, not one person at the very least didn't like it. It's not dumbed down either, granted they have removed the black humour relating to capitalism and greed, and instead focused on mans love affair with technology. They have fleshed out the story far more than the first film did in terms of his family relationship too which adds to the story a great deal. Like some of the better remakes they have taken the very basic skeleton of the story and gone in a different direction. There will be comparisons with Iron Man by sloppy critics but tonally it's vastly different. The action is handled well if a little dated in this post Avengers world but it holds up. I had no real opinion going in, I'm a Robocop fan seeing the first one in my teens and like many didn't think a remake was required. The trailer did however give me some hope it wouldn't be an outright turd and it lives up to the trailer and then some. Some will hate it just for existing, those with an open mind will most likely at the very least enjoy it. I don't think it will be a flop that's for sure, several screenings over opening weekend have already sold out at my cineworld :)
That's good to hear. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: psychoscot
Agreed, Total Film gave it 4/5 while Empire 2/5.

There you go, a country divided.

Must admit as much as I still very much enjoy reading Empire, their reviews over recent years have been very out there and very questionable, often getting torn apart on their FB page. Some films they praise, then by the time they hit home formats giving them low scores and films getting panned they then place new higher scores when they see it did well at the box office.

They often seem to forget some films aren't made for artistic worth, they are general crowd pleasers made to entertain and put a smile on your face. If a film meets that criteria then marking it down because it doesn't have artistic intent is just plain snobbishness, which is what I expect from a Sunday Times reviewer and not a cross the scale film magazine.

The one thing i've noticed with Empire is that they get too cosy with the filmmakers/actors and I think that knocks on to their reviews.
I haven't seen At Worlds End. A few friends have seen it and they say its not the best of the three films. Empire gave it 5/5 (I think).
Where Total Film still keep a distance. In the end I read reviews on certain films. Sometimes I just read the star rating. Other times I read it after I've seen the film.

Robocop I will see. I love the original, but the cast on this looks great. I have always been a huge Michael Keaton fan.