Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: April 20th, 2015
Purchase link: Sleepy Hollow
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.
Per Zavvi on May 8,2015:
1500 copies shipped, 500 damaged in transit from supplier.
They are trying to obtain replacements.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I received mine today - can confirm weird scuff marks on rear although nowhere near as bad as the image posted here. I wiped my steelbook with a disposable decorator's cleaning cloth and then buffed it with a soft dry cloth - can hardly see the marks now
So you mean this is dirt?

Is the print so dark like on the fotos?

It looks completly black, no fog, no details :-(

I just realised as well, if you compare the steel book in hand to the picture at the top of the page, there is a complete lack of detail as shown above in the finished piece. It's a bit like the recent Studio Canal release The Imitation Game, again in Lo Resolution but this time in a glossy finish. The bare silver as the moon is lazy in my mind as well.

Ultimately, the scuffs and marks I'm sure are not Zavvi's fault, they were packed this way by the manufacturer/supplier. I recently received the Avengers Assemble steel book and that arrived (like many others) absolutely immaculate. I suspect this is because Marvel/Disney take more care over the packing process. I know this is not always the case with everyone, but mine have always been supplied in great condition.

Reactions: Greyback and lolwut
So you mean this is dirt?

Is the print so dark like on the fotos?

It looks completly black, no fog, no details :-(

It's not all dirt - there are scuff marks visible when I tilt the case in a certain way to catch the light. Cleaning it up has definitely improved my copy but YMMV, and there are still faint scuff marks on mine so I'd say it's a mix of scuff marks and glue residue or something.

The gloss has made the details hard to see, yes it is very dark. The fog is there but you can hardly see it.

The front of the steelbook is lovely though IMO

Reactions: Greyback
So it begins, let the Zavvi customer service begin. Mine also arrived with scratches across the back and dent above the 'H'. I've stated that I want a replacement and not a discount. What's the betting they come back to me offering a discount?

I have this exact same problem I also have the same scuffs but also many other scuffs are on the back, these scuffs are hard to see straight on but at an angle or flat they are very visible, looks like a poor gloss finish on the back, could be bad quality control. I've never seen a new gloss steelbook with so many scuffs all over the back like this before.

I wonder has anyone managed to get themselves a mint copy of this steelbook? I'm not sure I want to get it replaced if there is a big batch with these unsightly multiple scuffs on the back, may just settle for a refund, what a real pity.

So it begins, let the Zavvi customer service begin. Mine also arrived with scratches across the back and dent above the 'H'. I've stated that I want a replacement and not a discount. What's the betting they come back to me offering a discount?
That's the exact same scratch marks in the exact same place as my steelbook has
This seams to be a problem that has happened before or after the gloss was applied
Its a pain as overall its a nice looking steelbook its just a pity the quality control missed this or did not not bother to get them fixed
I will be contacting StudioCanal as there is no way Zavvi would have known about this as the jcard would have been attached and then shrink wrapped by StudioCanal and then shipped to Zavvi sealed

That's the exact same scratch marks in the exact same place as my steelbook has
This seams to be a problem that has happened before or after the gloss was applied
Its a pain as overall its a nice looking steelbook its just a pity the quality control missed this or did not not bother to get them fixed
I will be contacting StudioCanal as there is no way Zavvi would have known about this as the jcard would have been attached and then shrink wrapped by StudioCanal and then shipped to Zavvi sealed
I mentioned this in my previous post, it is either the fault of Scanavo in using poor quality materials in the ever continuing quest to cut costs, ie poor quality gloss, slow drying speeds during the printing process etc and also quality control during the process, someone must see this when the empty steelbooks are packed for shipping.

But, it may also be a side product of the media/disc filling centres were the empty steelbooks are MANHANDLED, the steelbooks are opened, discs are put in then closed, then sent for j card adding and then shrinkwrapping, that's a heck of a lot of chances for damage to occur, all those times someone slides off a empty steelbook from the stack then chucks a filled steelbook on the next pile.... It makes me wonder just how we receive any mint copies at all...

And what is it with Studiocanal and the glue on the j cards now, they never used to be glued and I didn't have much of a problem with them last year.

Cancelled mine just a few days ago when people started reporting dispatch emails. Might still pick up if the price drops like the other Studio Canal catalog releases. But glad I don't have to deal with this scuff/damage issue.

I'm not happy with the finish on this one at all, looking at it again the front has some scuffs too in the gloss, I'll be sending it back, a real pity.

I could have done my usual buy and then ask Zavvi to send it back for a refund, since Zavvvi are slow and don't care about replacing damaged copies if they can sell them all. It seems the quality control is poor on this steelbook, so I'd rather forget about this one, the out of stock just helps me leave this one too.

I don't understand the thinking sometimes. A nice matte finish would have been much more appropriate for this title. They gloss the bejesus out of this but Little Mermaid they make a dull matte. :dunno:

Reactions: PeteH
I'm not happy with the finish on this one at all, looking at it again the front has some scuffs too in the gloss, I'll be sending it back, a real pity.

I could have done my usual buy and then ask Zavvi to send it back for a refund, since Zavvvi are slow and don't care about replacing damaged copies if they can sell them all. It seems the quality control is poor on this steelbook, so I'd rather forget about this one, the out of stock just helps me leave this one too.
They offered me a partial refund of 30%
I have rejected that and asked for a lot more
I have also informed them a lot of customers are getting this steelbook with the scratches and scuff marks and that its a production fault

If they bother to get replacement I will wait and see but as this was limited to 2,000

The other 2,000 most likely will show up as a release in Germany at some stage and I will get it then and hopefully that batch wont have the same production fault

The other 2,000 most likely will show up as a release in Germany at some stage and I will get it then and hopefully that batch wont have the same production fault

It hasn't happened with the other 'ultra limited' Studiocanal titles so why would it happen with this? :confused:

Reactions: ETSC
It hasn't happened with the other 'ultra limited' Studiocanal titles so why would it happen with this? :confused:
So far yes but that don't mean at a later stage it wont

Zavvi really need to get StudioCanal to get Scanavo to sort out this production error as its a batch of faulty steelbooks
That batch needs to be replaced and sent to customers who received a steelbook with the scratch marks on the back of the steelbook
They have sold faulty product to customers even though they might not been aware until now but they are aware now they received a faulty batch

I've never taken the habbit to consistently bash Zavvi and mine arrived today minty mint, as have 97% of my Zavvi purchases (never giving me a reason to jump on the hate wagon), so... :D

They deserve some criticism, those Zboxes are mind-blowingly stupid, but at the end of the day the PotC steels and Avengers only had a 7-10 day delay, I've seen worse. It's just down to communication (or, in Zavvi's case, the lack thereof). It's not hard to hire a human person giving human replies on Facebook and through emails. Also, a more accurate server, and a 'not live yet' button, and a Zavvi sticker. They do that and they'll be as adored as Plain I'm sure.

Very happy about this release :).

Last edited:
Reactions: purplebook
They offered me a partial refund of 30%
I have rejected that and asked for a lot more
I have also informed them a lot of customers are getting this steelbook with the scratches and scuff marks and that its a production fault

If they bother to get replacement I will wait and see but as this was limited to 2,000

Zavvi must know by now this is a manufacturing error, I can't recall them offering 30% before. I too informed them of this problem and that this has happened to other collectors. I wonder if they will increase this offer, I definitely will not accept the 30% for this too. I open most of my Zavvi steelbooks and I expect the quality to be good, this one sure leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. :(