Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stygian For glossy premium steels I open up I usually put them back in a new resealable polybag and then back inside the slip, as to avoid what you've just described. Basically resealing it and that works fine for me. OR, you can do what that cray-cray @Flloydo does and instantly double your current storage space by never inserting the steel back in its rightful home/slip :wacky::LOL:

@Stygian For glossy premium steels I open up I usually put them back in a new resealable polybag and then back inside the slip, as to avoid what you've just described. Basically resealing it and that works fine for me. OR, you can do what that cray-cray @Flloydo does and instantly double your current storage space by never inserting the steel back in its rightful home/slip :wacky::LOL:

Every word he says about me and my habit is correct :LOL:

it seriously takes too much room, but......

Spacious living area? or mint SteelBooks?

• Haha
Reactions: Mickle_89
yeah that got me too. I feel bad but it’s too funny

sorry not sorry @Stygian

Unrelated but for some reason i keep thinking your posts are from DMD4K. I don't know if it's the colour of your avatar...actually I think it's because I keep thinking I'm seeing a Ninja Turtle until I take a closer look at it. DMD had a Ninja Turtle avatar at one point. Just my bad eyes :LOL:

It's one of the rare times that I opened a slip and the only time I placed the steelbook back in the slip unsealed because steelbooks are normally sealed before being sealed inside the slips. Now I know better lol.

Unrelated but for some reason i keep thinking your posts are from DMD4K. I don't know if it's the colour of your avatar...actually I think it's because I keep thinking I'm seeing a Ninja Turtle until I take a closer look at it. DMD had a Ninja Turtle avatar at one point. Just my bad eyes :LOL:

Nah that’s just me and my b!tch vibing out a whole mood

Funny thing is, all you sealed collectors probably have 40% of your collection with imperfections, Scratches, marks, hairline scratches, chips, small dents etc etc which you’ll never properly see so this release probably don’t matter anyway, you can barely see the marks when it’s sealed. So if any of you sealed collector weirdos ( :coffee: :LOL:) did complain and you got a partial refund then touché from you to Zavvi. Plus you get your first ever open steelbook. Like losing your virginity

imagine if there is a sealed collector who’s never seen a open unsealed steelbook before and the unsealed replacement puts them off SteelBooks forever :wacky::rofl:
Literally never opening my Japan Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for this very reason. Ignorance is bliss.

• Haha
Reactions: Flloydo
That's what resealable sleeves are for... :LOL:

yeah but I don’t like putting those in the premium slips. The corners on the resealable sleeves poke out too far. And the steel sticks out a little from the normal slip. Then I find depending on the slip and how durable they are it can shape them differently sometimes. so I keep steels in one resealable sleeve and the premium slips in another. That way I don’t have to keep taking the Full slip/ Lenti slip Etc out of a resealable sleeve just to see the steelbook.
Weird i know. But it’s how I like it

Happened to me with WeET's Infinity War. The replacements were shipped unsealed but inside one of those cellophane foldover things. I made the mistake of putting the replacement steelbook in the slip without the cellophane and instantly scratched the **** out of it way worse than the original.
I can relate to this very much. No matter how much care you put into it, scratches from inserting a steel (glossy finishes are more prone to scratch, of course) into the slip can't be avoided. Sometimes you have to look closely to find them, sometimes they show "nicely". My worst experience was with the "Terminator 3" FAC. I never owned such a minty-mint steel before, especially one that's mostly black and super high gloss. I cleaned it carefully before inserting it back into the slip, and also wiped the insides of said slip. When I took it out later, there was a nasty horizontal scratch on the backside. Devastating! Still this doesn't stop me from unsealing my steels. Especially since I've found a way to prevent such scratches (read below).

@Stygian For glossy premium steels I open up I usually put them back in a new resealable polybag and then back inside the slip, as to avoid what you've just described. Basically resealing it and that works fine for me.
That's what I've started doing now, too. But as I don't like polybags in general, I modify them a bit so they don't show the(ir) seam over the spine: I simply cut the "spine side" of the bag with scissors, essentially making a 3/4 closed polybag. Now the steels are safe from scratching, and they slide out of the slip better. It's quite handy for tight slips, e.g. I've Entertainment ("Akira", anyone?). The slips themselves go into a Steelbookcentral / KimchiDVD protector then, of course.

yeah but I don’t like putting those in the premium slips. The corners on the resealable sleeves poke out too far. And the steel sticks out a little from the normal slip.
With my method, the steels don't stick out. Neither do the corners of the bags. The side with the spine is cut away anyway and the remaining two corners are pressed against the inside of the slip. You could even cut them (just the corners) or glue them down with tape.

Last edited:
Had a thought, might sound daft but I wonder if Zavvi would release an empty case to house episodes I-IX that also included The Empire Strikes Back with Alternative Artwork.
I had thought when I found my old X-Files VHS Box Set. basically it was an empty plastic case with space for 5 VHS.
What are your thoughts?
E14E278A-A4F9-44BF-A40E-1EE626CB5479.jpeg

So on a lighter note...I've been thinking about the replacement shipping. This may sound like one of those Mission Impossible plans they go through in the movies before actually putting their plan in motion.

We figure that replacement steelbooks will be shipped from Scanavo unsealed and unprotected as usual but straight to Zavvi.

Zavvi warehouse workers will have the opportunity to slice open the boxes without any pesky shrink-wrap to cut through on the way to the spines. If the steelbooks survive that...

Will Zavvi put the steelbooks in any kind of protective sleeve? If not, and they ship them out in their white boxes I expect we will see a lot of scratched up steelbooks. That may be the best case scenario.

I have read elsewhere that some people in the U.S have been receiving Star Wars: A New Hope replacement steelbooks shipped from Zavvi through DHL. They have been receiving them within 2 days but in large boxes with little bubble protection where they are free to slide around. Also some of the boxes through DHL have been crushed but the steelbook has survived. But if these aren't placed in some kind of protective sleeve or wrapping before going into the box...:ohno::ohno::ohno:

I don't facebook. reddit or twitter so does anybody feel like bringing this up on social media to get Zavvi's attention?
I'm afraid Jordan in Zavvi's Customer Service Chat isn't going to cut it. :LOL: