The Aviator (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: March 30,2014
Purchase link: The Aviator Sold Out
Price: £16.99
Notes: Worldwide Exclusive Artwork, Limited to 2000 units, Embossed ,Spot Gloss finish

10892766-1389359282-77530.jpg

I0ncyg4.png

65ITV5g.png

y4GKWmB.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, as has been the case in the past instances with questions regarding community-discussed 'differences' between advertised and delivered retailer products, we've asked if there is any more info. We'll post any updates. Thanks!

Reactions: rj531 and lgans316
lets face it, we all knew there was a risk, we pre ordered when all we had to go on was that one pic of the front because it was limited to 2000. We'll get some winners and we'll get some losers. I try not to let the finish of a steelbook decide my choice of wanting it, Im one of the few that actually likes matte, its main advantage over gloss is the lack of fingerprints lol. At the end of the day, yes ive seen better steelbooks, yes ive seen worse, yes it sucks that the info given was wrong but in future try not to be too dependant on the info given. If it turns out to be great then great, but if not then youve still a pretty damn good chance of making your money back at least on it, despite the criticism there are still people that want this steelbook and would bite your arm off for face value. You took a risk, but theres no major loss really

Reactions: snooloui and Kashby
Well, if it's that easy what's the sense of an item description at all? If you go into a restaurant and they sell loup de mer and all you get is a lousy catfish then this is a criminal action done on purpose. It's cheaper and doesn't offer the same quality.
Honestly back to the steelbook, this is a major let down by Zavvi and shouldn't be supported at all. False advertising is a criminal act full stop!

lets face it, we all knew there was a risk, we pre ordered when all we had to go on was that one pic of the front because it was limited to 2000. We'll get some winners and we'll get some losers. I try not to let the finish of a steelbook decide my choice of wanting it, Im one of the few that actually likes matte, its main advantage over gloss is the lack of fingerprints lol. At the end of the day, yes ive seen better steelbooks, yes ive seen worse, yes it sucks that the info given was wrong but in future try not to be too dependant on the info given. If it turns out to be great then great, but if not then youve still a pretty damn good chance of making your money back at least on it, despite the criticism there are still people that want this steelbook and would bite your arm off for face value. You took a risk, but theres no major loss really

Reactions: Blu-devil
Zavvi was cheap with this steelbook release and it's not as nice as it could have been with full gloss or the spot gloss that was expected and promoted by Zavvi. So it does have an element of disappointment that comes with this release. However, I feel this is still a nice looking release overall.

I wil wait until I have this in hand to judge, but the pics look ok to me.
I don't expect great thinks from zavvi - not considering how many steels are coming out.
and tbh, I don't like full gloss steels anyway - most of my favourites are matte.
yes, its naughty to describe it as gloss if its not gonna be - but as stated that will be studiocanal/scanavo who are behind that decision - not zavvi. they just sell it - not make it.
one way to avoid all the disappointment, is to not pre-order any zavvi titles - wait for some actual pics before biting.
that will, of course, mean you may have to pay above the retail price - or you may be lucky and pick them up in the sale.
but you will have seen the steel before deciding.
look on the bright side guys! this may make all the scalpers think twice about ordering loads of copies in future - leaving zavvis stocks there for the collectors all to get their copy.

I know we would all prefer zavvi to be like blufans, kimchi or plain archive - do just 1 steelbook every couple of months and make it near-perfect. but would we all then just grumble that we have to wait 2 months between releases, and pay £35/£40 for a premium release?

personally, as a collector who remembers all to well the time before plays 'golden year' when we got 1 steelbook a month - always a new title, and usually with no inside art and printed back (no back catalogues In those days, you had to import the Canadian or german titles for older films) Im happy enough with how things are with zavvis releases/quality. yes, things could improve - and perhaps we would all prefer absolutely no advance info on what to expect (as it was in the days of play.com) but maybe we should all take a moment to appreciate the positives.
If zavvi decide its too much hassle and pull out of the steelbook game we would all miss them.

Reactions: Istria and snooloui
I for one never owned an Aviator steelbook, so I am really happy to be getting this one. I like it. I don't think every steelbook has to be glossy to be good. I get why people are pissed though. Advertise something and then the final product is the opposite of what is advertised is a poor sales pitch on Zavvi's part. There will be some angry folk over it, but in my particular instance, I don't care too much. An amazing movie to boot. I'm really excited to get this :)

I have to say this release is less than impressive. That said, the moderators on this forum do nothing but try to help us fellow members out. I don't think anybody would try to give out deceptive information intentionally. I would say the updates regarding future releases on this site are usually 99% accurate, so I think these comments are misdirected disappointment. It seems that Zavvi dropped the ball on this one, and they should be the ones to deal with any consumer backlash.

Agreed, My "Extreme Disappointment" is aimed solely at Zavvi's door. I honestly believe that that they knew what was being shipped did not match what was on their website. Some folk are scoffing about trading standards, but it's the only way these cowboys will learn to play ball. You put your faith and trust in them and they clearly betrayed that trust...simple as that. No ambiguity, no grey area, they lied just like they did about the Aliens Steelbook. Why do you think they gave me 15% off my subsequent Despicable me 2 & Die Hard 4 order?
It's not even about the money (I paid only £15.50) for my copy, it's about respect, or rather the lack of it from Zavvi.

Last edited:
The Aviator (Blu-ray SteelBook) (WEA) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Folks, we have no idea what the studio did in the end. Baseless suspicions about who knew what when, and other allegations are based on guesses. Every retailer has made concessions with discounts or refunds on current or future orders if there was some error between description and final product. Please do not contribute to accusations at this site. As posted already we have followed up with them. For Aliens it was already confirmed that the studio said it would be gloss, then decided not to release it that way. Please reserve judgment until more info is known. In the meantime, as a disgruntled customer, feel free to refuse, contest, or complain to the retailer itself. Lets hope there was no info breadown between the studio and retailer, but depending on what info is shared at what time, it would not be the first time, or retail situation that this has occurred.

It is the weekend, and I am not sure when info will become available(probably next week) but please try to take a step back and wait for an actual reply before fanning flames here. I myself haven't even received mine yet but will wait to see it to judge. Thanks all.

::: HDN Staff/Community Manager :::

Last edited:
Just arrived,ain't had chance to look properly.Title embossed,slip has Di caprio and Miramax on it.Looks pretty good,but in the middle to the right there's a faint line,don't know if that's a manufacturing fault or what.Sorry can't post pics as I'm at work.

Sorry Ben I'm at work now, literally only had a few mins to take photo so only had chance to take a quick look. It's seems to have metallic finish that fades if you catch it a wrong angle but hard to tell through shrink-wrap. :(

Reactions: ben6212
Just arrived,ain't had chance to look properly.Title embossed,slip has Di caprio and Miramax on it.Looks pretty good,but in the middle to the right there's a faint line,don't know if that's a manufacturing fault or what.Sorry can't post pics as I'm at work.

Come on description would be enough. How are the colors? How is the lens flare? How is the resolution? Spot gloss?

Thanks!

Reactions: ben6212
Finally. Thank you so much for the new and better pictures.
Unfortunately these just confirmed our first impression even more.
Embossed title and spot gloss on title. BUT washy and lowres artwork, mud colors and no lens flare.

@Digitalbabe: how will the fact help us if it turns out that the studio is responsible for this, and not Zavvi? Are they going to re-release this steelbook? Did you actually receive any compensation for Alien?