Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Gold Anniversary Edition)(Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release: 25th May 2015
Purchase: Zavvi.com
Price: £17.99
Notes: Zavvi's celebrating their second anniversary of steelbook releases!
As part of that celebration, they have created a new edition of Roger Rabbit, the steelbook that started it all.
The front will have "new embossing" not featured on the original, and debossing on the back. More details to come, on sale this Friday!

front.jpg

back.jpg exterior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seem to have put the cat among the pigeons with my "overrated " comment - It's just that I don't understand why the original should have won any design prizes when there are so many better designed more prizeworthy steelbooks around. Yes, I've pre-ordered this because I prefer the gold on the front face to the red and feel that it will be a worthy Anniversary Edition. Well done, Zavvi.

Seem to have put the cat among the pigeons with my "overrated " comment - It's just that I don't understand why the original should have won any design prizes when there are so many better designed more prizeworthy steelbooks around. Yes, I've pre-ordered this because I prefer the gold on the front face to the red and feel that it will be a worthy Anniversary Edition. Well done, Zavvi.

Well, I'm assuming you DON'T own the original version then to make such an outrageous comment...

Vibrant red FULL gloss, beautiful inner artwork, and most importantly UNIQUE embossing on the front AND back! Making it a PERFECT choice for steelbook of the year. I understand everyone has their own opinions but if more steelbooks were made like the original, Zavvi would have a lot more supporters than haters...and a lot of collectors would be more broke than they already are :coffee:

The original RR was one of the first steelbooks to have embossing/debossing on BOTH front AND back covers (along with Play's The Raid). So you can see why it was a popular design.

It's been done to death since, but at the time it got collectors very excited.

Zavvi got everything right with that first exclusive. The art, the embossing/debossing, the lush gloss paint job, but most of all the price was spot on too. Pity their exclusives have been hit and miss ever since!

Reactions: UpsetSmiley
It's just that I don't understand why the original should have won any design prizes when there are so many better designed more prizeworthy steelbooks around.

I completely agree. Simply from a design standpoint it's far from anything special. I think that there were a lot of other factors that made it win out in the "steel of the year" vote. Back then a 3k print run was a rarity. Back then hardly anyone had any real experience with zavvi so there was no bias due to poor customer service like there is today. And back then there were dark times for UK exclusives since play.com just wen underground, so a new retailer announcing exclusive steelbook releases was something to celebrate. All of these had a hand in swaying the vote.

Simply going by the design, the original WFRR is just average. I'd take Aladdin, IM3, Finding Nemo, Oblivion, The World's End, Shaun of the Dead, ES Star Trek Into Darkness, and probably some others over WFRR any day of the week. Not talking the film, but the steelbook design, of course.

Even though I already have the first Roger Rabbit steelbook and am happy with it, I just couldn't resist and pre-ordered this one as well. :D

Does anyone know how many copies they are going to produce? Normally I don't like most Zavvi-steelbooks being limited to 1000-3000 copies, but since this is a special anniversary version, it should have limited copies.

Overall I like the red steelbook better, but this gold one could look nice and be worth owning if they really put effort into glossy finish.

If the release date is correct there's going to be a long wait until we see real pictures though.

Whats the printrun?
I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a low run. Zavvi always mention when it's a very limited print run. I'm guessing it's a minimum 4K but could be even higher.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a low run. Zavvi always mention when it's a very limited print run. I'm guessing it's a minimum 4K but could be even higher.

That would really hurt my excitement for this release then. If there are ever steelbooks that should be very limited, it's just these special kinds of steelbook-releases.

Simply going by the design, the original WFRR is just average. I'd take IM3, Oblivion, Shaun of the Dead, and probably some others over WFRR any day of the week. Not talking the film, but the steelbook design, of course.
Seriously???? o_O
Iron Man 3 and Oblivion over Roger Rabbit design???

Dude, you and me have seriously different taste!! EEK!

Reactions: DJ IXS
Seriously???? o_O
Iron Man 3 and Oblivion over Roger Rabbit design???

Dude, you and me have seriously different taste!! EEK!

Oh, not even a contest (imo).

graphic1.jpg

The splotchy red background, the unnecessary writing on top, the poorly placed "25th anniversary", the fact that the "anniversary" is supposed to resemble the "who framed" font, but it actually doesn't and it's even highlighted so it's even more non-uniform, the not-that-great size and placement of the frame because they couldn't find a good enough cover photo... I can go on and on.

People here tend to focus on things such as "gloss" and "embossing/debossing", but seem to forget that these are just ways to add an extra touch on the design, but don't matter at all when the design itself is just not good.

The huge as crap 25th Anniversary on the cover pushing the actual title off center should have eliminated Roger Rabbit from being Steelbook of any year IMHO. I totally agree with those that think it is a highly overrated steelbook and I personally think it that only has its status because of the embossing and gloss fetishists out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Pearce
The huge as crap 25th Anniversary on the cover pushing the actual title off center should have eliminated Roger Rabbit from being Steelbook of any year IMHO. I totally agree with those that think it is a highly overrated steelbook and I personally think it that only has its status because of the embossing and gloss fetishists out there.

Hmmmm...the same way SLIP enthusiasts swayed the votes this year for "I Saw The Devil" to win. :whistle: The times they are a changin'...

got to admit it, the more I look at this and picture the actual item in my head, the more I like it. Glad they've dropped the "25th Anniversary" to fit the title on properly. Just hope the back looks better than the mock-up.

Ordered! (I assume the VOUCHC5 [5%] is the best discount on this at the mo?)

I have the original, and i'd love to know what NEW embossing is going to be used on this Gold edition? I really can't see this being any better, the original is simply one of the best embossed steelbooks out there. The level of detail is exceptional, front and especially the back.