Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Gold Anniversary Edition)(Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release: 25th May 2015
Purchase: Zavvi.com
Price: £17.99
Notes: Zavvi's celebrating their second anniversary of steelbook releases!
As part of that celebration, they have created a new edition of Roger Rabbit, the steelbook that started it all.
The front will have "new embossing" not featured on the original, and debossing on the back. More details to come, on sale this Friday!

front.jpg

back.jpg exterior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
if its an anniversary and celebration of two years of zavvi exclusive steelbooks, why didnt they make more of an effort?

this could have been a fantastic opportunity to take it to the next level. ie they could have used a lenticular magnet for the front. they could have produced a full slip. they could have included art cards, a booklet... they could have....

instead they chose to merely change the colour of the front and alter the embossing. they also chose to make it inferior, since the front and back art clashes like hell.

people play down zavvi's involvement with steelbook design and the way they market their steels, and yet here zavvi are announcing an exclusive steel to celebrate two years of exclusives. its clear they have a relationship with the studios in order to continue securing and releasing these products...

its been two years now, why dont they step it up and offer collectors something exciting which represents good value, instead of trying to entice people to double dip merely for a change of colour or embossing. i find it insulting.

Whilst I appreciate everything written above I think we should bear in mind the complaints against Zavvi if this steelbook had all of the above embellishments and was priced at GBP 29.99 to reflect the extra production costs.
I personally prefer the gold colouring to the red and feel that gold is an appropriate colour for an "Anniversary Edition" although I would have preferred gold bricks instead of red on the back.

Whilst I appreciate everything written above I think we should bear in mind the complaints against Zavvi if this steelbook had all of the above embellishments and was priced at GBP 29.99 to reflect the extra production costs.
I personally prefer the gold colouring to the red and feel that gold is an appropriate colour for an "Anniversary Edition" although I would have preferred gold bricks instead of red on the back.
Gold is an appropriate colour for a 50th anniversary edition.

As zavvi have not mentioned a print run, I would guess 8-10k.
Certainly not the same print run as the original. [emoji2]
A standard Steelbook print run is 4,000 copies - which is generally what it is when Zavvi don't disclose the number. Not saying it's definitely the case this time, but it may well be.

The more I think about this the more I think that it is a complete pile of ****.
Forgetting about those that don't own it it for a moment, this is supposed to be a statement of two years of exclusive steelbooks.
Take one look at what Film Arena just did with Interview with a Vampire, no special reason but for me I was totally suprised as to the quality of the release, right up there with a BF. So what do Zavvi do to mark a special occasion, take a good steel and give it a new lick of paint.
No offence to the new guys but they are apparently the home Steelbooks for the UK and this is all they can do to celebrate?

Disapointing is really an understatement :(

Reactions: Basil
Much like IM3 and JB then.
They didn't disclose those. [emoji2]
IM3 was a worldwide release in lots countries and only difference was the inclusion of 3D Disc and Jcards been different
The Steelbook itself was not exclusive to Zavvi as it was produced for worldwide market with Zavvi just getting the exclusive retail part for the UK

They did not hide print run for Jungle Book and The Little Mermaid
They did disclose the print run
Originally Planned to be 5,000 both sold out very quickly so they increased to both 10,000 each as a result of both original 5,000 selling out
This information has been known about from the start
As a result of doing this they did not sell as they expected and resulted in selling a lot of the additional 5,000 print runs at reduced prices

After this error in judgement they decided never to make that mistake again
After this Disney Steelbook were reduced to 4,000 and latest releases to 3,000

You can expect the Max print run of Who Framed Roger Rabbit will be 4,000 as this is the standard print run scanavo want for a release with an exception to allowing 3,000 were its the only release happening

The 1,000 and 2,000 print runs are different as these end up getting another release in other countries and the overall total then reaches the 4,000 scanavo require

Last edited: