Young Frankenstein (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi / MCM Expo Comic Con Exclusive) [UK]

Jan 30, 2013
FFO, Germany
Steelbook collectors should definitely stop by our stall (1361) at MCM Expo Comic Con... We'll be selling an Ultra Limited run of the Young Frankenstein #Steelbook with this electrifying artwork. Only 1000 copies! Good ol' Igor, we're glad he made the back cover.

Any unsold copies should be available online within a few days of event.
Via Zavvi Facebook page
Group Buy Hosted by: Naughtius Maximus < (Sold out)!

10697414_10152317061050146_2605977833952145561_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Zavvi seem to be such a divisive issue. There are times when their actions lead to all the comments and bad feeling pointed at them, cough-customer service-cough. Jumping through hoops to generally get nowhere, and, as stated, clearly having stock remaining when they could have been used to replace damages.

That said, there are other times when the vitriol aimed at them gets ridiculous. Just look at the Maleficent debacle. Fair enough, it was black not white when it came through your letterbox, but the backlash reached fever-pitch. Allegations of Zavvi specifically not updating the image to con people out of their money. Not sending it out 'til release day so you'd be stuck with the Spanish one too if you ordered it. Being lied to by customer service members regarding the colour.

All of these 'reasons' were completely unfounded, but when given reasonable explanations by other members, you find yourself being classed as a 'Zavvi defender' or being accused of actually working for Zavvi. Please note, I am neither.

I could point out many examples of incorrect artwork on Play.com, items being dispatched days after release on Amazon.co.uk and incorrect information being given out by online and brick and mortar stores worldwide.

There seems to be something about steelbooks which gets our blood boiling with Zavvi. I lose track of how often someone has had damage under the J-card, or clearly from the manufacturing process yet go 'what is it with Zavvi and quality control?', or 'why have Zavvi made some Disney titles matte and others gloss?' when clearly this is nothing to do with Zavvi. Yet when these issues appear on HMV exclusives or from Amazon it's always 'what is it with Sony/Warner/Paramount's quality control?'.

The only issue I've had with them was the Indiana Jones titles. I tried in vain to get Zavvi to change the shipping address but to no avail. Like many, I had to sit by the computer hoping to get them when they came back in stock, something I shouldn't have had to do. Maybe I've been lucky with my other purchases, maybe I just don't notice the issues if they have any. Ironically, I've had more steels arrive damaged from Amazon.co.uk (about 5, despite ordering less from them) than I have Zavvi (which was 2, both very minor). That said, Amazon.de is the clear winner so far, with around 20 titles ordered and no damage whatsoever.
Yeah, totally agree with these points. It's hard to take any irrational and dismissive comments about any company seriously. It's always some conspiracy to screw over the customer that only zavvi is doing, nobody else. +1

I picked up a couple of these today from their stall, and the guy said the whole stall was £10 except these which were £19.99. I picked up a supposedly OOP Rambo to complete the set, opened it at home and it had 2 small dings in it, top and bottom, and it also looked resealed, so I reckon these were damaged returns, possibly.

Reactions: Flash and dfoles
I picked up a couple of these today from their stall, and the guy said the whole stall was £10 except these which were £19.99. I picked up a supposedly OOP Rambo to complete the set, opened it at home and it had 2 small dings in it, top and bottom, and it also looked resealed, so I reckon these were damaged returns, possibly.

That also wouldn't surprise me lol

snooloui.....you DEFINITELY work for Zavvi!!!! That i have NO doubt!!!

''In regards to the Steelbooks we have here at Comic Con, there simply wasn't enough stock of each Steelbook to put back online for fear of a huge oversell, which would disappoint hundreds of customers. For example, if we have 15 Steelbooks and 100+ people who order those Steelbooks.
We brought these Steelbooks with us for our stall to showcase, so that Steelbook collectors and new customers alike could look at what we had to offer and find out more about us. If you've seen any Steelbooks in particular from the photos that you are missing, please private message us on here to let us know and we can arrange to hold some for you. In no way are we trying to deceive or upset anyone, we do not hold stock back tactically, and we apologise if this is how our actions have been interpreted.''

I have NEVER heard such a complete load of tosh trying to explain away how Zavvi have shafted customers who were told "sorry we have NO more copies!"

I am frankly tired of your constant defending of Zavvi...it is pathetic!!!!

I am frankly tired of your inane ranting and terrible grammar but you are entitled to your opinion.

Grabbed a few of these today, didn't seem to have many left. I have 2 spare if anyone is interested.

A few other titles they had didn't look "new" to me. Seemed to have been re-packaged.

Reactions: Flash
Zavvi do come under fire sometimes disproportionately but it is usually because people have had umpteen negative experiences that they explode. I cancelled a Zavvi order and the cancellation button was available to do so - they sent the order out anyway and said I have to pay the return postage. I said you should make your cancellation button unavailable then if you have already posted - it is not my fault - they refused.

Several promotions stating limited time frames e.g. Moon - must buy within 24 hours after which the price will rise from £12.99 - it never did; free artwork (supposedly) limited to 1000 with the Sin City 2 steelbook became available to all, (once they had suckered you in and you were then tied to buying the steelbook because the artwork got sent out immediately); so called Zavvi exclusives described as limited editons (e.g. if you own one you were lucky to own one of 4000) (see Seven Samurai being available on many other websites e.g. Amazon etc etc etc. Frankly, this is wilfully and deliberately misleading and fraudulent.

When I have asked for responses to these they have responded by writing to someone called Richard (not my name) at times, talking about something that had nothing to do with my original queries in any way, shape or form whatsoever and then after several back and forth emails I finally received one from them saying, "...sorry you have had difficulty with other companies in the past..." (wtf?????) - I'm talking about you Zavvi and not someone else. Even when I pleaded with them to actually read my emails and to respond directly to my questions they sent out a generic, obtuse, avoidance response saying, we have passed your comments on to blah blah blah but then never followed up and have failed consistently to respond.

These are only some of many, many examples with them that I can provide. My messages are littered with this same appalling customer service so when people do blow it's because of this type of behaviour.

Last edited:
Zavvi set up a great stall... well done to them! I know if it were me, I'd certainly want to hold back a few items for such a special event too. Would be a bit embarrassing being the "Home of Steelbooks" with only 1 or 2 steels on your table.

Reactions: wjasoncul and spass
I'm awaiting an update from Zavvi in regard to that question they have already contacted me but are awaiting an update from their marketing department as soon as I get this update I will let you know
I wish I could rate this as a Thanks, Helpful Post, and Informative :thumbs:

Zavvi set up a great stall... well done to them! I know if it were me, I'd certainly want to hold back a few items for such a special event too. Would be a bit embarrassing being the "Home of Steelbooks" with only 1 or 2 steels on your table.

It wasn't a "great stall" and Zavvi only had two titles on offer on the Friday...

BUT, if Zavvi stick with Exclusive Steelbooks and showcasing at Comic Cons etc the future looks good for us collectors :woot:

Reactions: blu-steel
Oh, SONY had a stall and that was very badly presented...Lot's of titles BUT no banners to who they were...

CEX was very well presented with that inflatable shark over the stand...Couldn't miss it!

It wasn't a "great stall" and Zavvi only had two titles on offer on the Friday...

BUT, if Zavvi stick with Exclusive Steelbooks and showcasing at Comic Cons etc the future looks good for us collectors :woot:
I'm talking in terms of a steelbook stall... from what I've seen they had stacks of steels/titles = great STEELBOOK stall! ;)

Oh, SONY had a stall and that was very badly presented...Lot's of titles BUT no banners to who they were...

CEX was very well presented with that inflatable shark over the stand...Couldn't miss it!

CEX's stall seems the same as what they have had for the past year or so, which looks very similar to an actual CEX store, the only issue I had with them when I was there last year was finding someone with a payment phone lol

Zavvi need to have a better stall, as from what I have seen it looked pretty basic.

CEX's stall seems the same as what they have had for the past year or so, which looks very similar to an actual CEX store, the only issue I had with them when I was there last year was finding someone with a payment phone lol

Zavvi need to have a better stall, as from what I have seen it looked pretty basic.

LOL, yeah, the CEX stand looked like in store!

I'm sure Zavvi will up their game at the next Con (hopefully)...And with more limited Exclusives :woot:

MCM has been growing in popularity, with fans and retailers, as the years have gone on. I am sure Zavvi will have a better stall and more exclusives. I still think Young Frankenstein was a very odd choice for the Con (in no way am I saying it's a bad movie), MCM has a lot of anime fans (like a huge amount, especially if you look outside the ExCeL centre!) a comic book movie or anime movie (or series) would have been better suited for the Con.

If Zavvi wanted to print money they could have made attack on titan steelbooks and made those a MCM Exclusive lol!