Amazon Canada - SteelBook Retailer thread

riddlesNrhymes

Orion's Belt
Premium Supporter
Jan 2, 2013
Devon (UK)
First of all I apologise if my question is common knowledge/posted somewhere else. I'm just wondering if I'll get stung with customs charges if I order some steelbooks from Amazon Canada? I've ordered from quite a few foreign sites and so far have only had customs charges with amazon japan. I'd appreciate some help, thanks :)

AmazonCaLogoTrns72dpi400x90.png

Feel free to discuss shipping, customer service, availabity, etc about this retailer here.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q) What is the link to Amazon CA?
A) https://www.amazon.ca/?tag=hidefnin0b-20

Q) I haven't mastered English yet - how can I read the site?!
A) Install Google translate on your browser:

Google Chrome HERE
Firefox HERE

Q) How do I register?
A) Click HERE >> Fill in details>> click on 'create account'>> Done!

Q) Do they ship outside of CANADA?
A) Yes, worldwide delivery, various shipping options available, for example 1 steelbook to UK:

Standard International Shipping (averages 6-8 weeks) £4.50
Expedited International Shipping Expedited International Shipping (averages 1-2 weeks) £7
Priority International Courier Priority International Courier (averages 2-4 business days) £16

*Tip* Standard shipping normally only takes a few days to arrive via Fedex

Q) What form of packing do they use?
A) Jiffy Bags for small orders, cardboard for large, with hardly - if any - bubble wrap, see below: (Thanks to Spass + Maccadinho25 for pics)

Got the two Kill Bill's today in this jiffy bag without any protection inside/between the steels.

How they arrived mint is a miracle!

killbilly.jpg

Not ordering from these again. Received today (very fast shipping) in a jiffy bag with no padding whatsoever to get overseas! There are actually SEVEN dents on the back that the light has picked up. Safe to say i sent my concerns via email just

View attachment 31742

Q) Is the retailer custom's friendly? (i.e will they mark as gift, or low value).
A) No, they list full item price. It's sometimes cheaper if ninjas have their items sent to a Canadian friend/ninja and then forwarded on to their address.

Q) Will the retailer charges upon order or upon shipment
A) You will be charged upon dispatch

Q) What payment do they accept?
A) Card / Store Card / Gift card only

Q) Customer Services any good?
A) Amazon in general have the best customer service but some of the worst packaging in North America.

Cancellations: Your account >> > Sign In > My Orders - follow on screen instructions

Replacements: Your account >> > Sign In > My Orders - Return or replace Items >> follow on screen instructions. They can replace an item for a maximum of two times, they refund for the third time.

Keep in mind that if the item is out of stock, discontinued, and is not available for exchange, your order will be cancelled and will be refunded.

Refunds: They are normally processed within a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 4 steels came in a reasonable cardboard wrap but there was no internal packing to stop the steels from moving but infinitely better than a jiffy for sure.

I went with my usual Expedited International Shipping trackable all the way with DHL hit Belfast in 2 days :scat: worth the extra costs for me anyway.

Got stung for £16 customs which was inevitable really using quick combined mail might as well had a target on it - all in 4 steels cost me £78 which is not great considering the quality of the steels and the marks on my Highlanders :angry:

Received an order of 13 SteelBooks from their recent $8.99 sale. Seven of them have issues that I may exchange for replacement copies. Full Metal Jacket may be difficult to replace from Amazon.ca because their stock shows zero.

A Nightmare On Elm Street: spine text, blu-ray logo, and WB logo are off-center
The Lost Boys: spine slash
Blade Runner: paint chips on back
Full Metal Jacket: scratch across entire lower front cover
Shutter Island: paint chips on back
Batman Begins: paint chips on front
The Exorcist: paint missing on lower front right corner like it wore off from rubbing on something

FYI I chose the Expedited International Shipping from amazon Canada and i got stung by customs - so buyers beware...this option is useless, you're paying extra for no reason at all as its just as fast choosing the cheapest option.

This option (paying import charges upfront) only works with Amazon.com NOT .ca.

Last edited:
Reactions: severo
FYI I chose the Expedited International Shipping from amazon Canada and i got stung by customs - so buyers beware...this option is useless, you're paying extra for no reason at all as its just as fast choosing the cheapest option.

Just a thought you could email Amazon and I've read that some people have been reimbursed when stung by customs. With that said, if the items totals less than £135 you wouldn't pay the customs only import VAT which is 20% of the items overall total incl. delivery and a further £8 Royal Mail handling fee.

Yeah I checked this with Amazon.ca earlier this year they do not offer to pay custom charges like Amazon.com, I messaged their customer services, as I could see it was different to Amazon.com.

I picked the cheapest option for an order and it came in about 2-4 days anyway, they do that sometimes or it takes a while longer usually. It was not for a steelbooks though, I've read about Amazon.Ca having a poor international, shipping reputation, so I did not want to chance it, may have a go though, I'm feeling lucky.

There's a couple of things I wanna pick up from Amazon CA, but I've never used them before. There's some talk in the thread that Standard International Shipping gets upgraded to an express service. Is this still the case, or should I opt for one of the other options if I don't want to wait two months for my stuff?

There's a couple of things I wanna pick up from Amazon CA, but I've never used them before. There's some talk in the thread that Standard International Shipping gets upgraded to an express service. Is this still the case, or should I opt for one of the other options if I don't want to wait two months for my stuff?

Last year, I ordered The Polar Express steel from from Amazon.CA and I chose the cheapest option for delivery and it arrived to UK in 4 days! It was sent in a box, so no damage too!

Reactions: Flash
Guys, anyone noticed the insane increase in international shipping costs? I'm searching to find an answer on why it happened and if it will be permanent, but those new prices are huge.