Premium Supporter
Sep 25, 2012
Retired
Release date: June 26, 2013
Purchase links:
Amazon JP
HMV JP
CD Japan
Price: ¥3,669 (Amazon) - ¥3,997 (HMV) - ¥4,700 (CD)
Notes: No 3D disc included, matte finish, region FREE

71Fsa90DpLL._AA1165_.jpg

Actual pictures courtesy of pbtour4il:
dredd-jp-1.jpg

dredd-jp-2.jpg

dredd-jp-3.jpg

dredd-jp-4.jpg

dredd-jp-5.jpg

dredd-jp-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
?

Isn't there a special customization thread for things like this? I might be in a vast minority here, but i simply don't care if somebody puts hairspray on their steelbooks and i feel it has nothing to do with the original (matte but beautiful) steelbook...

I think it's been overhyped IMO.

It's nice but nothing special. Has the same finish as Japans 'The Impossible' Steelbook. It's a matte finish but the print resolution is very sharp.

Very overpriced on the current market. Wonder if it's nearly out if print?

Reactions: hatredhorror
It actually does look way better in the flesh.
It looks 3D in hand. I've not seen that depth of an image on any other SB.
I thought it looked good from the pictures but amazing in hand.

You've mentioned this before, but I honestly can't see what you're talking about :dunno:

Don't see any difference between the finish on this matte Steelbook and any other matte Steelbook only as I said the image res is very sharp.

and whats with the colors ? they look rly dull compared to the mock-up pics

The colours definitely aren't as vibrant as in the OP pic. But they do change depending how you tilt the Steelbook. It reminds me of the effect on those UK Warner Premium Steelbooks. Only much better of course.

Igans gloss treatment (above) definitely improves it though.

last question: compared to some of the better playcom releases like braveheart or terminator, where does this rank?

I guess it would be on a par with those titles. Braveheart has a similar finish. But those were bargains when compared price wise to this.

There's just such a vast difference in price for pretty much the same thing. If you ask me, Plays 'Untouchables' is a superior Steelbook to this. It wouldn't have hurt them to put a bit of spot gloss on it. Even if it was just on Dredd himself. Especially for that price. (And it didn't have credits on the front)

last question: compared to some of the better playcom releases like braveheart or terminator, where does this rank?

I like the Play Terminator steel, but the Dredd colours are far more vibrant and the art is far less dark and more striking than the Terminator steel.
The Dredd steel is significantly more impressive in my opinion and as others have said, it looks far better in hand.
Without doubt, one of my favourite steels. :thumbs:

I guess it would be on a par with those titles. Braveheart has a similar finish. But those were bargains when compared price wise to this.

There's just such a vast difference in price for pretty much the same thing. If you ask me, Plays 'Untouchables' is a superior Steelbook to this. It wouldn't have hurt them to put a bit of spot gloss on it. Even if it was just on Dredd himself. Especially for that price.

thanks this helped a lot :) i think im gonna bite the bullet on this one

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashisarobot
I don't get why this is loved either. The artwork is nice but the back seems a little blurred and the finish is dull matte. It wouldn't be bad if it only cost a tenner or so, but my copy cost around £40 including postage. I would be hoping for a much better Steelbook overall for that kind of money.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
I don't get why this is loved either. The artwork is nice but the back seems a little blurred and the finish is dull matte. It wouldn't be bad if it only cost a tenner or so, but my copy cost around £40 including postage. I would be hoping for a much better Steelbook overall for that kind of money.

:hilarious: this has changed my mind again

arghhhh.. ill flip a coin this weekend

Reactions: Ashisarobot