Leon (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Kimchidvd Exclusive #6) [Korea]

Which artwork candidate would convince you to buy?

• Artwork Candidate #1

Votes: 233 56.4%
  • Artwork Candidate #2

Votes: 180 43.6%

• Total voters

Choi Chungkwon

Premium Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
South Korea
Release date: March 8th, 2014
Price: 34.99$
Buy link:
1/4 slip (limited to 500): here (sold-out)
Full slip (limited to 1500): here (sold-out)

List of Kimchidvd Exclusive SteelBook Editions

1/4 slip:
1389862142221743.jpg

Full slip:
13898620213161.jpg

Posted artwork:
1387613246796809.jpg

Live pic

Packaging detail
- numbered plastic card
- artcard
- 6x photo card
- booklet

Attachments

• 0925??_??????_????.jpg
    0925??_??????_????.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 757
  • 01-artwork.jpg
    01-artwork.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 672
  • 02-quarter.jpg
    02-quarter.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 657
  • 03-full.jpg
    03-full.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 621
  • thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 585
Last edited by a moderator:
Option 5 then!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hilarious:

(and strictly speaking not mine just being helpful ;))

549_21cb42_f97bfa1b_oJ.jpg.thumb

Thank you zesty, now that's the perfect version ! This and sete's artwork should be among the contenders :).

A beautiful white for the back, a deep black on the front (darker than in your mockup) and a glossy finish with embossing on the glasses and title, and I'll definitely move some funds to get it — plus, Choi said it'd be cheaper than Monsters Inc and Tangled, I'm assuming between $34.99 and $39.99 then.

"Leon: the Professional" is too long of a title, first of all. It's much better to see just "Léon" on the spine and on the front. I mean, I can't be the only one thinking that the shorter, true version of the title is the best one rather than the US "translation".

Leon: the Professional has never been the title anyone involved in the making of the film wanted to give it. It's a French film, it was released in France on Sept 14, 1994 as Léon, then that's the definite title, like Kimchi's upcoming exclusive Le Grand Bleu. "The Professional" bit was added on November 18, 1994 for the North American market and it shouldn't be on the steelbook — it's too long, clumsy, it won't improve the steelbook to have that imo.

The US distributor added "The Professional" to make it a lot more obvious what the film is about, but we're steelbook collectors and (hopefully) we're all fans, we know what Léon is about, so let's avoid the expletive subtitle :cool:.

Last edited:
Just a thought, I'd quite like that picture of Mathilda as part of the inner art, maybe under the discs, so you're kinda surprised by it, rather than it being there, in view, the whole time?

Reactions: jimmyv
from what Choi posted...

Front #1
Back #2

Color front including detailed background looks better than black background.

And I don't like nearly anything about #3.

Also, I like "Leon: The Professional" the way #1 shows. I think it looks more appropriate to the film and the font is better.

Just a thought, I'd quite like that picture of Mathilda as part of the inner art, maybe under the discs, so you're kinda surprised by it, rather than it being there, in view, the whole time?
So you remove the disc and BAM! there's Mathilda pointing a gun at you. :hilarious: that's pretty trick. I kinda like it. :thumbs:

Reactions: satanclaus
here is candidate artwork

- candidate #1

View attachment 46165

- candidate #2

View attachment 46166

- candidate #3

View attachment 46167

Please leave feedback here.

as I said, once we have firmed candidate to be polled.
I will share the artwork then HDN Choose ..

Cheers

Yep, I like the cover from #1 w/ the colored background to it & the shot of Matilda w/ gun from #2 :scat:

I agree w/ you guys that you gotta give Oldman the inside :oohyeah:

IMO the title looks much better at the bottom, too :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the fondness for plain black or white backgrounds or borders. Aren't so many steelbooks already like this? Just look at those from Zavvi. Can't the backgrounds be of colored scenes?

In honesty, among all your treasured collections, how many of you will put a mainly black or white steelbook on premium display space or take it out once in a while from your shelves to admire it? I can't figure myself doing that for these covers. :(

Sete, prefer your front cover but with the background buildings in it (in soft focus maybe) as in this pic:
61F82E24-306B-4739-AF75-658029BABA82-778-000000544EAF48B5_zpsc98a5287.jpg

Can you try it out? A matching back would be this in portrait format:

0B15AEF0-1F31-4D51-982F-3E6D2DD05089-3498-000002C222C3B30E_zpsf3b569e3.jpg

Too much hair in Kimchi's versions. :D

Thanks! :thumbs:

Like most of these folks with great taste, I too prefer the front of #1, and the back of #2. Although Choi's post seems to say that nobody's interested in what we prefer.

But hey, as long as we're talking to ourselves here, I'd also like to suggest dropping the incredibly boring embossing with the usual border and simply debossing the title.

You want this to be a grail? Be different. Don't make the same SteelBook that everyone else is making. Make the kind of classy, tasteful SteelBook that they're all too lazy to make. The kind of SteelBook that we just don't see anymore. Premium-feeling, unique-looking, with the best version of the movie inside, and a price that makes sense when you hold it in your hands. No stickers, or notebooks, or art cards, or lenticular slipcovers... just quality.