Leon (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Kimchidvd Exclusive #6) [Korea]

Which artwork candidate would convince you to buy?

• Artwork Candidate #1

Votes: 233 56.4%
  • Artwork Candidate #2

Votes: 180 43.6%

• Total voters

Choi Chungkwon

Premium Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
South Korea
Release date: March 8th, 2014
Price: 34.99$
Buy link:
1/4 slip (limited to 500): here (sold-out)
Full slip (limited to 1500): here (sold-out)

List of Kimchidvd Exclusive SteelBook Editions

1/4 slip:
1389862142221743.jpg

Full slip:
13898620213161.jpg

Posted artwork:
1387613246796809.jpg

Live pic

Packaging detail
- numbered plastic card
- artcard
- 6x photo card
- booklet

Attachments

• 0925??_??????_????.jpg
    0925??_??????_????.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 750
  • 01-artwork.jpg
    01-artwork.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 660
  • 02-quarter.jpg
    02-quarter.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 03-full.jpg
    03-full.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 611
  • thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 581
Last edited by a moderator:
I like it! but don't forget the accent on Léon. does anybody know what the thing-a-ma-jig inside the O is?

*the director's cut would seal the deal*

Last edited:
Good artwork front and back, but I'd prefer:

Debossed title only, like Starship Troopers. Would be a nice changup from the 70 million embossed steels coming out of Zavvi.

Full gloss finish instead of spot gloss on glasses. The full gloss on the remainder of the front picture will 1) make the black perimeter area much more rich looking and 2) bring out the vibrant colors of the central image.

I think these 2 changes would make for a more desirable steelbook.

Much prefer this be called Leon and that's it. Don't like the artwork at all. Why can't we have a bit more originality. Something dark, shadowy even but not that. Maybe cartoonish but in a classy way ala RED cover on jb hifi slip. Just a thought.

Reactions: jayce20
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, too. I could swear I read something like 'HDN chooses art and steelbook treatment'. Now we have only one artwork and the treatment seems to be decided already. What happened did Kimchi change their mind?

And also I know a lot of people said they would prefer that front artwork of 'candidate #1' and the back of 'candidate #2' etc., I know both are great images, but all in all as a steelbook they don't go well with each other.

Now that I've seen all the candidates from Kimchi and if this is going to be the actual steelbook I must admit: I would've liked sete's attempt more. Don't know where the mockups are but I remember one with a golden Leon on the front and the silhouette of his plant on the back and I thought 'Wow, this is pretty good, but let's wait what Kimchi can bring us'. But what I saw from Kimchi didn't blow me away, sete's work almost looks more professional to me. Just my opinion. Would be great if we could get a real poll with some complete steelbook designs to choose from, including some mockups from our members. Is that too much to dream of? :)

I like 1 then 2, but lose that emboss guide line, I am so sick of the picture frame on steelbooks. It does nothing but bend the artwork??

Good artwork front and back, but I'd prefer:

Debossed title only, like Starship Troopers. Would be a nice changup from the 70 million embossed steels coming out of Zavvi.

Full gloss finish instead of spot gloss on glasses. The full gloss on the remainder of the front picture will 1) make the black perimeter area much more rich looking and 2) bring out the vibrant colors of the central image.

I think these 2 changes would make for a more desirable steelbook.

+1 100%

A nice gloss finish to bring up the colours like say Play.com Collateral :thumbs:

Wow. This thread is 2 months up running and now we have a problems with front, back, , title, embossed, debossed , gloss finish, border . Thats way zavvi dont even bothered ask as about artwork. Im more than happy if i add a proper Leon the professional to my collection:)

I still maintain that Mathilda should be part of the inner art, hidden under a disc, so each time you pop the disc, it's like she's popped out and aiming at you. I'll no doubt pick it up either way because I love the film, but I think it could be much better.

Reactions: djprodikis
I chose "I like it" option but in my opinion for front cover black and white artwork may be better. It seems a lot classy like that, that's how I see it.

Below pictures are the DVD steelbook that is exclusively released in Turkey by a local company. Its really high quality. I love front and interior artwork but I can't say the same thing for the rear cover art :)

Interior Artwork!

ow0u.jpg

Outer Artwork!

r4mo.jpg

PS: I will be buying it anyways because its Kimchi release! :) Thanks a lot Choi and Kimchi for all the great efforts...

Last edited:
Wow. This thread is 2 months up running and now we have a problems with front, back, , title, embossed, debossed , gloss finish, border . Thats way zavvi dont even bothered ask as about artwork. Im more than happy if i add a proper Leon the professional to my collection:)

very true. when the dust settles, this should be kept in mind.

let us not discourage exclusive retailers like Kimchi who are doing their best to produce proper releases for this community.

we are a tricky and finicky bunch. putting our opinion is always nice and appreciated and I don't want Kimchi to stop asking, but even as is, I would buy that steelbook.