Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
I open all of mine as well. I only buy the movies I actually like. I've only just started to acquire doubles of some films to hopefully use as trade material for other movies that I want.

Personally I open all of mine for a number of reasons - to enjoy watching them, looking at them and to check for quality purposes.

TBH When trading I would prefer to trade for OPEN mint steels as I know what I am getting then. Far too often I have traded for mint sealed steels only to be disappointed when they arrive and the J card has hidden a dent or scratch or two! :(

I've got some that are still sealed but primarily they're ones like the recent waves on Play where I've already got a regular copy. Anything new coming through I typically but because I want to see the film, so it gets opened and then stored in a sleeve :)

beware ,got caught with play.com,no disk in kick-ass,they were good enough to send me a new copy but it could have easily been out of print,so i open

I'm new here and I have a sealed avengers copy. but seeing majority of the comments here, I might as well open it. I just learned that if I want to trade, I should get 2 copies. 1 for myself and other to trade for goodies :)

I keep mine sealed, have done so with everything I collect. I still have dvds sealed. I am trying to buy 2 of each so I can open 1. So far I have only opened one SB and that was because the disc was loose and driving me crazy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

i always opened mine but only when i watch them. For example, i got tin tin and Shaun of the dead still sealed because i haven't got round to watching them yet.

i still fairly new to blu rays and steelbooks and over the last couple of months iv'e managed to get 30+ steels.

However most of mine i have picked up pre owned and a few have been bargains. ege Hanna & Terminator £8 for pair from cex website. Arrived mint :)

Sort of along the lines of this thread and since I see that most of you open them, do you guys keep the j-cards and slip covers that come with the steel or just throw them away?