Play.com - SteelBook Retailer Thread [Europe]

play.gif
Please feel free to discuss/chat whatever it could be steelbook related to Play.com.

Subjects can be:
- Customer service
- Policy
- Shipping
and others.

Important:
This store only ships to specific countrys in Europe. If you want to buy from this store, you need a contact OR join a specific Group Buy.

Packaging exemple: (tx to Acid)
View attachment 14139

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lgans316
Ok so dont hate me for this (or do, if you want ;)) but I just had to say my 2 cents as there is whining in so many of the play.com steel release threads....

All of you complaining about a missing disc at £11 price or the back of steel not being embossed :rolleyes:, seriously we could be doing a lot worse. What if play.com didn't exist? From what I have seen they actually seem to give a sh^t about us customers or at-least there trying. Thats more then what can be said for the dozens of other retailers out there.

Imagine being stuck with Amazon.de or Media Market and the factory they are for printed back/ no english title/ no inside art steelbooks as your one of few options for steelbooks. Play.com is shining star in comparison. At-least there trying to release fresh art steels with back and inside art without logo's and useless quotes printed on the cover art. All this for around £11. Oh and they actually went out of there way to start using some packaging that satisfies most people. Again actually giving a sh*t about us the customers. Like any one company sure there are things you might not like about them I know there are a few that I dont like about play.com but complaining over and over at the price play is selling most of these steel's is ridiculous IMO.

These kinds of releases were a dream come true but a year or two ago. Give play.com some credit and quit whining about a missing disc here and there. Play has to cater to 4000+ customers on every release and not all of them care about a couple bonus discs. But I bet the majority do give a sh*t about the price which play.com has been keeping damn reasonable aside from a few releases here and there.

Oh and play doesn't even make the final decisions on things like this from what I understand. The best they can do is lobby for what they want and just take what they get. Its the studio's in the end that call the shots.

If I was a fan of Watchmen I would be ecstatic to own this release for £11 with free shipping and not complain once. Be nice, at-least nicer then I am ;) to a retailer that's put some effort into giving the customer what they want instead of constantly whining. I dream of buying brand new $17 steelbooks shipped to my door here in Canada with artwork like this. Spoiled much?

Last edited:
I would never ever blame play for this, my original comment I thought might help start something in which this forum could influence play/studios into releasing more complete editions. I don't know about you guys but for me I want to own the ultimate copy for every movie, that means best packaging/steel and best overall set. Blu ray is the top end when it comes to films and being the collectors we are super cheap shouldn't come into it! Look at the battle royale set, 3 discs the whole shebang! That's how they should all be and correct me if I'm wrong but who here wouldn't pay a couple of quid more for that? IMO if you just want a 1 disc vanilla version then you should not be in the steelbook collecting game!
How about a little collectible booklet with each release, make it the definitive version, that how it should be! Look at the apocalypse now set, perfection! At the end if the day, if we don't ask we don't get!

Anybody processed a return from this weeks deliveries? I've sent for a return for War of The Worlds and printed out the authorisations form. Then was told I'd be emailed to sort out a time for the courier to pick up.

But I've received an email this morning telling me to post it back myself and pay for it too.... :wtf:?

I totally agree with all your post except for one thing... PLAY.

Why do you blame Play for this. And you´re not the only one.
Whenever a steel is not up to the desired standards there is always at least one user who points the finger at Play.

They are just the seller... nothing more.

Probably because ppl see the same releases with oversees retailers, such as FutureShop and Amazon.de, who almost always have the complete multidisc package in their steelbook releases i belive.

I would never ever blame play for this, my original comment I thought might help start something in which this forum could influence play/studios into releasing more complete editions. I don't know about you guys but for me I want to own the ultimate copy for every movie, that means best packaging/steel and best overall set. Blu ray is the top end when it comes to films and being the collectors we are super cheap shouldn't come into it! Look at the battle royale set, 3 discs the whole shebang! That's how they should all be and correct me if I'm wrong but who here wouldn't pay a couple of quid more for that? IMO if you just want a 1 disc vanilla version then you should not be in the steelbook collecting game!
How about a little collectible booklet with each release, make it the definitive version, that how it should be! Look at the apocalypse now set, perfection! At the end if the day, if we don't ask we don't get!

It's such a shame they've gone though all that trouble licensing exclusive artwork, arranging clean backs, no logos, special printing effects ect, to fall down right at the end with something as simple as a plain old bonus disc - which costs next to nothing to mass produce, and of course, is readily available with the regular bluray editions :squint:

...but i guess paying customers should just take what they are given.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Scarface
Anybody processed a return from this weeks deliveries? I've sent for a return for War of The Worlds and printed out the authorisations form. Then was told I'd be emailed to sort out a time for the courier to pick up.

But I've received an email this morning telling me to post it back myself and pay for it too.... :wtf:?

I sent Prometheus back a couple of days ago as long as they give you the authorisation codes and you put in the box you can just send it yourself

Keep the receipt for proof of postage and take a picture of it to send to [email protected] (i think) then they will refund your postage cost

I sent Prometheus back a couple of days ago as long as they give you the authorisation codes and you put in the box you can just send it yourself

Keep the receipt for proof of postage and take a picture of it to send to [email protected] (i think) then they will refund your postage cost

I've sent a few steels back recently as damaged and they've supplied me with a pre-paid postage label. Yet when I processed a return last night (for damages) there was no option for the pre-paid label, I was just told they'd email me with details for the courier pick-up.

I hope play.com are reading this thread. The positive is the great wave of steelbooks they are producing but packaging and shipping are starting to let them down.

What happened to the single boxes. I will have to order in singles so I can get the box to store them;
Some random women delivered my package why the hell are you not sticking with royal mail. I will pay more for the steel to guarantee the single box and the correct shipping but right now I'm put off from ordering and will consider HMV for the non-exclusives again :angry:

I've sent a few steels back recently as damaged and they've supplied me with a pre-paid postage label. Yet when I processed a return last night (for damages) there was no option for the pre-paid label, I was just told they'd email me with details for the courier pick-up.

Oh right, I've never tried their pre-paid labels so cant comment mate sorry

I hope play.com are reading this thread. The positive is the great wave of steelbooks they are producing but packaging and shipping are starting to let them down.

What happened to the single boxes. I will have to order in singles so I can get the box to store them;
Some random women delivered my package why the hell are you not sticking with royal mail. I will pay more for the steel to guarantee the single box and the correct shipping but right now I'm put off from ordering and will consider HMV for the non-exclusives again :angry:

Nothing wrong with their packaging.

However, their returns/replacement procedure is quite poor/confusing and I'm not happy about them using Hermes/Yodel (as these couriers are incompetent)

I was told the same thing i would be emailed about the courier to pick it up,i then received the email saying that my item hadn't even been dispatched which was strange and was told to make sure i was using the right account, i then sent them the order number and they then said in a email just to send it directly back to play and gave me the return address.

I am new steelbook collector. But I must say in any therm play.com is the best retailer for steelbooks in uk at least. I have seen a lot good titles on amazon.de but didn't pull a trigger yet. Maybe soon. I have amazon account so shouldn't be any hassle.

I know Wreck said it may not be down to Play with the Slashed Spines but all the books I just got were slash free thank goodness so well done!:scat:

Ok so dont hate me for this (or do, if you want ;)) but I just had to say my 2 cents as there is whining in so many of the play.com steel release threads....

All of you complaining about a missing disc at £11 price or the back of steel not being embossed :rolleyes:, seriously we could be doing a lot worse. What if play.com didn't exist? From what I have seen they actually seem to give a sh^t about us customers or at-least there trying. Thats more then what can be said for the dozens of other retailers out there.

Imagine being stuck with Amazon.de or Media Market and the factory they are for printed back/ no english title/ no inside art steelbooks as your one of few options for steelbooks. Play.com is shining star in comparison. At-least there trying to release fresh art steels with back and inside art without logo's and useless quotes printed on the cover art. All this for around £11. Oh and they actually went out of there way to start using some packaging that satisfies most people. Again actually giving a sh*t about us the customers. Like any one company sure there are things you might not like about them I know there are a few that I dont like about play.com but complaining over and over at the price play is selling most of these steel's is ridiculous IMO.

These kinds of releases were a dream come true but a year or two ago. Give play.com some credit and quit whining about a missing disc here and there. Play has to cater to 4000+ customers on every release and not all of them care about a couple bonus discs. But I bet the majority do give a sh*t about the price which play.com has been keeping damn reasonable aside from a few releases here and there.

Oh and play doesn't even make the final decisions on things like this from what I understand. The best they can do is lobby for what they want and just take what they get. Its the studio's in the end that call the shots.

If I was a fan of Watchmen I would be ecstatic to own this release for £11 with free shipping and not complain once. Be nice, at-least nicer then I am ;) to a retailer that's put some effort into giving the customer what they want instead of constantly whining. I dream of buying brand new $17 steelbooks shipped to my door here in Canada with artwork like this. Spoiled much?

I hope u feel a bit better getting that of ur chest now:hilarious:

Reactions: SaberTooth
I've cancelled every single non-exclusive order I had with Play. Yodel and Hermes have been shown time and time again to be a shower of incompetent arseholes. It's been all over the TV many times, showing them chucking valuable packages over high gates or just leaving them on the steps (they seem to like throwing mine in my wheelie bin, that's always fun to dig out). Play know all about this, and have still hired them. Any company that decides to cut corners by hiring a company that they already know will deliver a poor service, will lose my custom.

I've cancelled every single non-exclusive order I had with Play. Yodel and Hermes have been shown time and time again to be a shower of incompetent arseholes. It's been all over the TV many times, showing them chucking valuable packages over high gates or just leaving them on the steps (they seem to like throwing mine in my wheelie bin, that's always fun to dig out). Play know all about this, and have still hired them. Any company that decides to cut corners by hiring a company that they already know will deliver a poor service, will lose my custom.

I'm glad I won't be getting my order form mermes from what I heard. My last courier when I got something from play was good enough to put the package in a Jiffy bag before dropping in a window. :D