Release date: 6th July, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £17.99
Note: No title on spine, no Inside art, Region B

11131287-1024300315568487.jpg

11131287-1664300315554636.jpg 11131287-5644300315562685.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
*Cough Cough* Hunger Games Mockinjay *Cough Cough*
I thought that would come up or 'Shaun the Sheep' and that's why I didn't buy either.
Regarding 'M.J.1' - I'll wait for a steelbook with 'M.J. 1 & 2' inside which I'm sure WILL have the title on the spine.
Putting aside the spine title issue I'd just like to say that out of all the images I've Googled for the 'T2' steelbook from abroad (and the original Play.com which I have) this is my clear favourite closely followed by the U.S./ Canadian or the Mondo if you like 'cartooney'.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what disk will come with this steelbook? Guys over on blu ray. Com are seeing a new encode on their latest release which is apparently much improved over the dreaded dnr'd sky net edition... Can't see this new disk for sale on the UK amazon site, only the US. Anyone know what disk we'll get?

Does anyone know what disk will come with this steelbook? Guys over on blu ray. Com are seeing a new encode on their latest release which is apparently much improved over the dreaded dnr'd sky net edition... Can't see this new disk for sale on the UK amazon site, only the US. Anyone know what disk we'll get?

I wrote about the new MPEG-4 AVC encode of T2, and whether Studio Canal would also be releasing it, a few days ago in the German Steelbook thread. Rather than repeat everything, I'll simply re-post it here.

I'm very interested to see a review for the German disc when it is released on the 25th June or, for that matter, the French disc which has been released today. Since both releases are from Studio Canal, who also hold the distribution rights in the UK, it will provide some clues as to the disc being included in the forthcoming Zavvi Steelbook.

There has been no announcement, to date, from Studio Canal as to the specifications of the disc being released in any of the territories for which they hold the distribution rights. Those French and German sites which have it listed, have merely repeated the specifications of the previous Skynet edition released in 2009. Unsurprisingly, Zavvi's site provides no assistance in respect of the specifications of their forthcoming UK release.

Interestingly, the published artwork of the new French and German releases makes no mention of this being the Skynet edition, which makes me hope that the forthcoming Studio Canal releases will prove identical to that released in the US on the 19th May by Lionsgate.

The new US release slipped in under the radar and has been confirmed on blu-ray dot com, by those who have it, to be a different disc to the earlier Skynet one. Although not the hoped for 4k remaster that we've all been waiting for, it is a new MPEG-4 AVC encode (previous disc was VC-1). The picture quality is superior to that of the Skynet disc and has little to no DNR, so that the natural grain of the original film stock, scrubbed from the Skynet transfer, is back. The menus of the earlier disc, which took forever to load, have also been changed to ones which load much faster.

The new US disc only contains the Theatrical and Unrated Cuts of the movie since it has lost the Easter Egg of the 3rd Extended Cut. Also missing are the commentaries, deleted scenes and trailers. So, it's swings and roundabouts but I'll take a better picture over extras any day. Besides, those extras can be found on the earlier Skynet disc which most people here will already own.

The big question, therefore, is whether Studio Canal's forthcoming UK and European releases of T2 will be the new encode or merely a repackage of the earlier Skynet one?

Since then I have been trawling the net looking for information, reviews or images of the recent French release, in order to ascertain whether its disc was the new encode or merely a repackage of the old one. I needn't have bothered. I have just checked the T2 French Slipcover thread and seen that @ariba266 has uploaded actual images of the French release, including one of the back of the slip.

T2(2).jpg

Unfortunately, the specifications detailed above are identical, in every respect, to those of the earlier Skynet Edition (VC-1) not the new encode (AVC). It follows, therefore, that the same disc will also be included in the forthcoming UK and German Steelbook releases.

*Cough Cough* Hunger Games Mockinjay *Cough Cough*
If this release is from StudioCanal it will have a title on the spine
The mock up photo is just exactly that a mock up photo and not an actual photo of the steelbook
Recent StudioCanal mock up photos had no title on the spine but the actual steelbooks did have a title on the spine

The Skynet edition isn't much better than this IMO. I got rid of mine years ago. There's a load of text on the back and the inside is just red.

Mine is silver inside not red.
It is nice and glossy and the red eyes catch the light well in the same way though not as well as the eyes on the 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' futurepak.
There is no embossing or debossing - not even on the title.
My other copy which is sealed still has the price of GBP 17.99 on it so in line with this new one.
it's certainly a smart looking item though nothing special IMO.
I'd say this new one has the potential to be special if they gloss up the image on the front with maybe a touch of embossing/debossing and leave the border matt as a contrast to make the image stand out even more and I like the way that the image is contained within the 'frame'.

If this release is from StudioCanal it will have a title on the spine
The mock up photo is just exactly that a mock up photo and not an actual photo of the steelbook
Recent StudioCanal mock up photos had no title on the spine but the actual steelbooks did have a title on the spine
I was being slightly sarcastic..... [emoji38]

...does the updated encode (for non-European territories) quash any hopes of an actual, proper, 4K remaster? Are there any news/rumours on this front for future releases? It's shocking to me that in 2015 we're still dealing with catalogue releases that aren't taking full advantage of the HD format - especially with consumer 4K on the horizon!

...does the updated encode (for non-European territories) quash any hopes of an actual, proper, 4K remaster? Are there any news/rumours on this front for future releases? It's shocking to me that in 2015 we're still dealing with catalogue releases that aren't taking full advantage of the HD format - especially with consumer 4K on the horizon!

I would refer you to the blu-ray dot com forum (linking isn't permitted), in particular the thread which discusses the new Lionsgate release. A number of people there, more knowledgeable than me, have reported that a new 4k remaster exists but has yet to be released commercially.

Next year marks the 25th anniversary of T2, so it might see the light of day then. Alternatively, it may be that it is being held back until the new 4k discs are introduced.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: burtbird
I bit the bullet just in case it does look like that pic Bluesteel posted, I already have the Skynet UK steel with baby Terminator.
I just can't believe T2 hasn't had a decent Steel worldwide yet, the Bestbuy one is probably the best but even thats far from perfect.

Oh, almost forgot!
Hi
I'm new to this forum

I bit the bullet just in case it does look like that pic Bluesteel posted, I already have the Skynet UK steel with baby Terminator.
I just can't believe T2 hasn't had a decent Steel worldwide yet, the Bestbuy one is probably the best but even thats far from perfect.

Oh, almost forgot!
Hi
I'm new to this forum
Hi.

Welcome to the forum.

Might as well say goodbye to your wallet now and be over with it!!!! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantasmic
Hi.

Welcome to the forum.

Might as well say goodbye to your wallet now and be over with it!!!! :D
Too late, already in my hundreds with my collection and it's creeped its way to my games collection too, but my wallet can take it......so far :D

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, don't suppose anyone knows what the inlay is like?
Also Zavvi has this listed as 137 mins, which is the theatrical version, hope they're just being lite on info and it includes the SE 153 min version.
Zavvi need to start supplying more info with their releases.

@Hamill82
Funny enough T2 Skynet Edition was my first movie steelbook lol

Last edited:
Also Zavvi has this listed as 137 mins, which is the theatrical version, hope they're just being lite on info and it includes the SE 153 min version.
Zavvi need to start supplying more info with their releases.

It's the same Skynet Edition disc as before. See post #223 above.

Reactions: TGO
I know people love the Kimchidvd T2 steelbook, but the border cuts right through Schwarzenegger and Judgment Day - that and 'T2' rather than Terminator 2 left me underwhelmed. I'll take the old Euro version or the Best Buy (that I know many people don't like) for looks and/or price.

Reactions: thewoe
Originally had this ordered but canceled it this morning, this cover just ain't worth owning. Gonna pick up the BestBuy version with all the fire, of all I've seen its def the best and will cost about the same.