The Little Mermaid (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive: The Disney Collection #3)[UK]

Apr 12, 2012
UK
Release Date: September 23th, 2013
Purchase link: The Little Mermaid
Price: £22.99
Number of Discs: 1
Disney Collection # 3

The others: Zavvi Exclusive: The Disney Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

little-mermaid-uk.jpg

Actual pics: (Thanks to cudzndrips)

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 420
Last edited by a moderator:
I received the steelbook on Monday. I'm a bit disappointed with it, the back art could of been better, same for the interior. Oh well, the wife loves it ( bought it for her ;) ) I'm just happy it arrived with no damage! :oohyeah:

ZavviSteelbook.jpg

:thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine today. Nice cover, although there is a scratch in the paint right next to Ariel. I will be sending mine back to Zavvi.

That Target digibook that just came out looks much nicer than this and has great artwork.

You've got to be kidding. The SteelBook trumps the Digibook, if you can even call it that.

To me a real digibook has movie material and some insights into the actual filmmaking. This Target exclusive is a kid's storybook. No thanks. I could easily walk into a kid's book store and glue my BD to the back page.

Same with the Halloween 'digibook' that is paper thin. What a ripoff.

The SteelBook has the best image and at least looks like it can be an adult collectible that looks like it belongs in a movie-phile's collection and not in a kid's playroom.

To me a real digibook has movie material and some insights into the actual filmmaking. This Target exclusive is a kid's storybook. No thanks. I could easily walk into a kid's book store and glue my BD to the back page.
The SteelBook has the best image and at least looks like it can be an adult collectible that looks like it belongs in a movie-phile's collection and not in a kid's playroom.

That's weird. I thought Disney is targeting adults with these The Little Mermaid media. Shame on them for making it a kid's storybook!

That's weird. I thought Disney is targeting adults with these The Little Mermaid media. Shame on them for making it a kid's storybook!

How many kids do you know with a Digibook or Steelbook or even a Blu-ray collection? None would be my guess. Of course they are targeting adults with these releases, at least they should be.

All of the Target Disney digibooks that have come out have been Story books. Cinderella, Secret of the Wings, Brave, Peter Pan. They have all been like this.

Ummm... I'm pretty sure Bubbie wa being sarcastic. As in "how dare they target children with this family friendly movie!" As in... Of course they're targeting children. It's the Little Mermaid. As much as we adult collectors love the film, we are not their target audience here. A storybook makes perfect sense for this release.

Reactions: Drew and Bubbie
How many kids do you know with a Digibook or Steelbook or even a Blu-ray collection? None would be my guess. Of course they are targeting adults with these releases, at least they should be.

All of the Target Disney digibooks that have come out have been Story books. Cinderella, Secret of the Wings, Brave, Peter Pan. They have all been like this.

I can assure you that the target market for the mermaid is kids. Steel, of course, is partially an exception. If this forum and similar ones (but not quite as good) did not exist, there is a good chance this steel would not be around.

My nephew has a collection of Blu-Ray and DVDs in various formats. He is going to be eight in December. To me it is clear that the digibook is the winner here and if I was to buy a copy for my nephew (or myself), it would be it. Many agree with me that this steel turned out to be fairly lame, like most of them lately. It seems like steelbook collecting is becoming like collecting 60-cent stamps people use everyday to sent mail. Low quality printing and not much thought in design. It is only my opinion, though.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Ummm... I'm pretty sure Bubbie wa being sarcastic. As in "how dare they target children with this family friendly movie!" As in... Of course they're targeting children. It's the Little Mermaid. As much as we adult collectors love the film, we are not their target audience here. A storybook makes perfect sense for this release.

:thumbs:

I can assure you that the target market for the mermaid is kids. Steel, of course, is partially an exception. If this forum and similar ones (but not quite as good) did not exist, there is a good chance this steel would not be around.

My nephew has a collection of Blu-Ray and DVDs in various formats. He is going to be eight in December. To me it is clear that the digibook is the winner here and if I was to buy a copy for my nephew (or myself), it would be it. Many agree with me that this steel turned out to be fairly lame, like most of them lately. It seems like steelbook collecting is becoming like collecting 60-cent stamps people use everyday to sent mail. Low quality printing and not much thought in design. It is only my opinion, though

All I was trying to say was it's not something they just did with TLM. All of the Disney Digis from Target have been like this so it's something that should've been expected :thumbs:

Reactions: Bubbie

My nephew has a collection of Blu-Ray and DVDs in various formats. He is going to be eight in December. To me it is clear that the digibook is the winner here and if I was to buy a copy for my nephew (or myself), it would be it. Many agree with me that this steel turned out to be fairly lame, like most of them lately. It seems like steelbook collecting is becoming like collecting 60-cent stamps people use everyday to sent mail. Low quality printing and not much thought in design. It is only my opinion, though.

No doubt the film is primarily aimed at kids, but home entertainment certainly isn't. That's why I agree with SonicBoom that if you're going to release a Digibook, it should have content aimed at adults since ultimately those are the people who will be paying for the product.

Reactions: Steeler
No doubt the film is primarily aimed at kids, but home entertainment certainly isn't. That's why I agree with SonicBoom that if you're going to release a Digibook, it should have content aimed at adults since ultimately those are the people who will be paying for the product.

I disagree, since this could refer to any product out there starting with a lolly pop.

You're missing the point entirely :hilarious:

No he's not - you're saying that since the adult is the one paying the money for it, it should be catered towards that adult. But by that logic, anything that is "for kids" would have to be catered to an adult, as the adult is the one spending money on it. That doesn't make sense.

In the case of this digibook, 90% of sales will be adults buying it for their family/kids. And so, a storybook makes the most sense, as kids will enjoy a storybook more than they will an adult-catered behind the scenes look. While it would certainly be cool of they did that, it would have to be something MUCH more limited than this digibook is.

No he's not - you're saying that since the adult is the one paying the money for it, it should be catered towards that adult. But by that logic, anything that is "for kids" would have to be catered to an adult, as the adult is the one spending money on it. That doesn't make sense.

In the case of this digibook, 90% of sales will be adults buying it for their family/kids. And so, a storybook makes the most sense, as kids will enjoy a storybook more than they will an adult-catered behind the scenes look. While it would certainly be cool of they did that, it would have to be something MUCH more limited than this digibook is.

I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that the Blu-ray format itself is aimed at adults and should therefore should cater to adults. I don't agree that 90% of purchasers will be adults buying for their kids. I would say it is more likely to be nostalgic adults and Blu-ray/Disney enthusiasts. Those are the people who pay the extra for Blu-ray, not parents looking for something to keep their kids occupied who would probably settle for the cheaper DVD and/or separate story book.

In any case, this has gotten a little ridiculous. It is just my opinion, you don't have to agree or try and prove me wrong.

Hmm... I don't think it's gotten ridiculous. Still very civil conversation if you ask me?

I think you're highly underestimating the ratio of adult collectors to mainstream target audience. There's not anywhere even close as many of us. Blu-ray is most definitely not aimed solely at adults anymore. Steelbooks, yes. But not blu-ray in general.

Reactions: Jensen
I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that the Blu-ray format itself is aimed at adults and should therefore should cater to adults. I don't agree that 90% of purchasers will be adults buying for their kids. I would say it is more likely to be nostalgic adults and Blu-ray/Disney enthusiasts. Those are the people who pay the extra for Blu-ray, not parents looking for something to keep their kids occupied who would probably settle for the cheaper DVD and/or separate story book.

In any case, this has gotten a little ridiculous. It is just my opinion, you don't have to agree or try and prove me wrong.

I'll chime in here. I get what you are saying, but I have done most of my trades with members of this and other forums who are adults and will collect Disney "stuff" no matter what. I think the story book goes along with Disney...kid/adult...this is a collectible. There is a amaray form if you just want the "movie".

Secondly, this isn't Disney who is selling this, it is Target. The retailer wanted to give an "exclusive" that would cause collectors to buy theirs instead of the "normal" version elsewhere. It is in-line with what Target has done with ALL their esclusive Disney releases and honestly, it's VERY unique as a digi-story-book because most likely, noone else will every make these.

Look at how many times steelbooks are "exclusive" and are released as "exclusives" in multiple countries. These are truly "exclusive" in the country that Disney originated from. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

I happen to be an adult collector, and will always prefer a SteelBook over a digibook.

Having said that, I actually like the TLM SteelBook and don't see it as a half-assed effort. Sure, it is artwork we have seen before, but it is the only SteelBook option and it is not bad artwork. It is simply reused, but it is, in my opinion, one of the best pieces of art from the film.

You can argue that TLM is a kid's movie, but I can argue (and I think Disney will side with me) that it is an all-ages film which everyone can enjoy, and yes that includes adults and adult collectors.

Disney and Target are both well aware of the huge adult collectible market for Disney. Nevertheless, Target has decided to produce an exclusive aimed for kids. I'm not saying this is wrong, and in fact, it may very well be the smartest decision from Target because it will move sales for adults buying for kids. However, I don't have to like it.

I collect digibooks because of the extra information about the film. I don't buy the digibook for E.T. just to have a kid's storybook in it.

Maybe others are fine with it, but I am not. I know that as a storybook it will never be read by me and would just sit on my shelf and collect dust. I would much rather have a nice looking SteelBook over a kid's digibook any day.

Even as a digibook collector, I'm not interested in the digi for TLM. I actually did buy both the SteelBook (German because I like blue) and the digi for E.T. because I liked both. Same with JAWS.

Last edited: