• 10840506-1385746462-288843.jpg
    10840506-1385746462-288843.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 10840506-1385746462-288871.jpg
    10840506-1385746462-288871.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:

A fair point you now make

And perhaps if you had posted in this manner rather than the sarcastic and negative manner last night then your original post wouldn't have been deleted.

I agree that everyone can have their opinion, but there's no excuse for being rude or insensitive when sharing it.

Just saying...

My fault bit of an inside joke i know a handful of people on these forums in person and doctored steel images are a regular banter/talking point. humorous nature of my initial post aimed at them. they know what i mean ;)

Reactions: ETSC and zoneism
you're right it looks just like that through the right light...if that light source comes from a computer displaying photoshop.
The light in my pics never comes from computer. I always try to make images right in the camera. As for the photoshop you should know that camera sensors are not similar to human eye and there is always some processing, either in-camera, or in computer, or both. Raw images that come from some more advanced cameras are like 'negatives' that need development. If film era the develop process was chemical, but some tweaks were possible even then. In digital, the develop process takes place in a computer (either the tiny computer in camera itself, or external computer). Possibilities for computer-driven develop are almost unlimited. One can literally repaint the picture, if there is a need for that, given resources are enough for that job.
In this particular case the light was artificial, produced by 2 controllable strobes with some diffusion setup. That way the light is controllable and dependable.

it's a beautiful, professional grade photo (they always are) its just they're always edited images. the colours look brighter, more vibrant and sharper in his image then they do in hand. the steelbook is pretty in hand, it's just his photos create a nicer purer version that doesn't exist.
I am doing this for fun and never consider my images as true representation of what is in picture. The purpose is to draw attention to steels or nice collectors editions and show better side of collecting. DB called this 'eye candy'. I've got some complaints before, that my steels in my pics are sometimes better than in hands. But most people here have learned this already, got used to it, and don't have any problems with that.

I am always trying to make world a bit better. Some steels need to be fixed to the state how they should look. Some ninjas here do custom designs and physical tweaking of some steels.
Unfortunately, there are so really bad steels that fixing [pictures of] them in post is not worth the efforts.

if zavvi displayed his images to show what it was like in hand before release, most people would complain when they got them in hand.
Honestly, I have nothing to do with zavvi images or zavvi business, except that I buy some steels from them.

its okay looking at doctored images of hot women because i dont plan on buying one later :naughty:, but i come here to see high quality photos that show the steels in all there glory...warts n' all.
We have a lot of ninjas here doing photos, you often have a chance to compare photos from different sources to make your decision to buy.

the nature of this print, means the colours, & in particular the red wine like colour never remains one solid shade because of the way the light bounces off the art, & that is viewable in ALL other photos. the finish is a reason some dont like this steel, mb's images just conveniently alter out the way the materials alter the images perception, I'd prefer it if it was a solid block shade like megabee's pictures...unfortunately it's not.
If you have this steel in hand, you should know that front finish is not 100% opaque, some metal underneath the finish takes part in light reflection. There must be a way to show this in video (with motion), but there no practical way to show this in photo.
What you see in any picture of any steel is bounced light, as there are no steels that emit light themselves.
I can assure that on this picture the only adjustments besides dust removal are global ones to make whole image correction. Everything else is the result of some specific and quite simple lighting. Sometimes, really rarely (maybe 1 of 200 steels) I try to fix some weird unnatural colors (not relevant to what is seen by a human eye) on pictures that result from complex finishes, but this is not the case for this pics. My understanding that those situations come from combination of complex finishes and camera imperfections for color rendition.

thats why i dont find mb's pictures particularly useful, they're well done (photography & edits) just not useful references.

As I've said above, my images were never meant to be references. I always try to get most job done in optical. Edits if necessary are not that extensive.

...lol

that videos about as accurate as mb's ponyo steelbook pictures
ponyouk1.jpg

ponyouk2.jpg

:hilarious:

...god wish they looked like that.
Right now camera negative files of 'Ponyo' are like 100 km away from me, but I can assure that they look like that right out of camera, it's all optical and that was intentional. If you wish, I can send you some when I have them at hand.

Last edited:
I am always trying to make world a bit better.

Aren't we all? :hidefninja:

Thanks for all your pictures MegaBee, they're eye candy indeed.

Besides, if you want crappy, realistic pictures, you'll always have me. :facepalm:

On a sidenote, I opened this steelbook and watched The Nightmare Before Christmas for the first time yesterday — as a double feature with Coraline, of which I have the German steelbook. So it was Henry Selick night, in a way... I know, crazy way to spend the last day of the year, right?

Both films are wonderful, so wildly imaginative and beautiful, something their respective steelbook aren't really, but it's not that bad :) — well, the "inside art" covered in ads in the Coraline German steel is a criminal offense I think, but other than that, its printed back and the lack of back art on Nightmare (those black spirals aren't enough without gloss), it's alright.

what's to get offended about, you either alter the pictures or you dont. no need to get so worked up bout it.

I am doing this for fun and never consider my images as true representation of what is in picture.

My issue is your pictures are high quality so people might think thats what they're getting & the point is i feel that if your photos are here to influence what steels people buy they should at least look like the real mccoy.

case in point ponyo. you're basically saying your photos are exactly what ponyo looks like. but this is what most see when they look at it in hand
2illh5e.jpg
someone could make a decision to buy ponyo based on your photos only to find that's not what they're getting. yeah i'd prefer it to look like your picture, but it doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: ETSC and megabee
Both films are wonderful, so wildly imaginative and beautiful, something their respective steelbook aren't really, but it's not that bad :) — well, the "inside art" covered in ads in the Coraline German steel is a criminal offense I think, but other than that, its printed back and the lack of back art on Nightmare (those black spirals aren't enough without gloss), it's alright.

At least, we have FS/BB steel of The Nightmare ..., that I am yet to make pictures of. That steel is in my hands for more than a year, but I managed not to open it yet.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

& the point is i feel that if your photos are here to influence what steels people buy they should at least look like the real mccoy.
I've said this already, I'm doing this for fun, and influencing people is not my intention.

case in point ponyo. you're basically saying your photos are exactly what ponyo looks like. which is strange because everyone elses looks like this.
2illh5e.jpg
yeah i'd prefer it to look like your picture, but it doesn't.
Yeah, it's the light that makes the difference. The steel is same for everyone.
I can shape the light so that Ponyo steel looks like mine photos.

My issue is your pictures are high quality so people might think thats what they're getting & the point is i feel that if your photos are here to influence what steels people buy they should at least look like the real mccoy.

case in point ponyo. you're basically saying your photos are exactly what ponyo looks like. but this is what most see when they look at it in hand
2illh5e.jpg
someone could make a decision to buy ponyo based on your photos only to find that's not what they're getting. yeah i'd prefer it to look like your picture, but it doesn't.

I know you did buddy, but with such high quality imagery, wether you want it to or not, they will influence people.

But this isn't Primary School and as a result megabee isn't required to cater for the lowest common denominator each time he takes a pic.

Last edited:
you're right it looks just like that through the right light...if that light source comes from a computer displaying photoshop.

it's a beautiful, professional grade photo (they always are) its just they're always edited images. the colours look brighter, more vibrant and sharper in his image then they do in hand. the steelbook is pretty in hand, it's just his photos create a nicer purer version that doesn't exist.

if zavvi displayed his images to show what it was like in hand before release, most people would complain when they got them in hand.

its okay looking at doctored images of hot women because i dont plan on buying one later :naughty:, but i come here to see high quality photos that show the steels in all there glory...warts n' all.

the nature of this print, means the colours, & in particular the red wine like colour never remains one solid shade because of the way the light bounces off the art, & that is viewable in ALL other photos. the finish is a reason some dont like this steel, mb's images just conveniently alter out the way the materials alter the images perception, I'd prefer it if it was a solid block shade like megabee's pictures...unfortunately it's not.
[...]thats why i dont find mb's pictures particularly useful, they're well done (photography & edits) just not useful references.

true...but just watch this post get deleted, despite the fact i've not been, petty or offensive all i've done is state my opinion...and offered the reasoning behind it.

And perhaps if you had posted in this manner rather than the sarcastic and negative manner last night then your original post wouldn't have been deleted.

I agree that everyone can have their opinion, but there's no excuse for being rude or insensitive when sharing it.
As Zonesim said +1
You, as a user here, have the power to tell your opinion and share it, but as a great man said before: "with great power comes great responsibility". Your responsibility is to do it the proper way ;)

As a Mod, I'm not here to shut people's opinion up, but here to maintain a certain respect level and keep positive energy, and especially to HDN contributors who work really hard to help others making a choice. :thumbs:

As Zonesim said +1
You, as a user here, have the power to tell your opinion and share it, but as a great man said before: "with great power comes great responsibility". Your responsibility is to do it the proper way ;)

As a Mod, I'm not here to shut people's opinion up, but here to maintain a certain respect level and keep positive energy, and especially to HDN contributors who work really hard to help others making a choice. :thumbs:

I know, drum(btw you look weird w/o an optimus prime avatar :p) you guys do good things, running a much cleaner & friendlier forum then other places...but I don't think my previously deleted post was rude or offensive enough to be removed.

was just stating an opinion in a playful quick witty one liner as opposed to having to write an essay. but if that was offensive then the post above yours is far worse not to mention it puts the entire community in a negative light.

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess these images are designed to show the steelbook in the very possible best light (in the photographers eyes) ... nobody ever see's them like this because nobody lives in a white space where their steels seemingly levitate casting no shadows with the light hitting them perfectly at every angle... in short, the photos are not trying to capture what the steel will look like after you've thrown it on the bed, kitchen work-top or whatever surface you tear your steels from the packaging on.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

its also not a true-to-life representation because we all know steels have imperfections. many steels come with dings, the disc holder part smashed out, scratches, bad printing etc. the photographer has either been very lucky with the steels they have received, or has 'air-brushed' all the blemishes out.

also, we all see our steels cover in finger prints, not many people buff up their steels to a mirror shine wearing surgical gloves....

The images that megabee takes aren't meant to be used as a reference point for the exact look of a Steelbook. There are lots of people who contribute pictures from different lighting situations. Everyone is welcome to post pictures and they are all appreciated whether they are altered or not. They all help to give us members a better idea of whether we want to pick the steelbook up or not.

I don't see a problem if someone wants to make proffesional quality photographs and tweak the contrast/ levels. We need to remember that the people that go to the trouble of taking these photos spend a lot of time doing this and should be thanked for there efforts.

All this talk about Megabee's photos is irrelevant to this thread's posting. In other words it's off-topic. If you like his photos then thank him for them and if you don't then move on instead of creating mayhem and getting everybody worked up. If I see any more off-topic posts I'm going to move them to another thread or delete them plain and simple.

Please take into account that there are member who subscribe to this thread for updates to the steelbook and not about someones photos.

It kind of sucks, I bought this at The Exchange the day they revealed on Zavvi this steelbook. Oh well, will still get it, definitely. Wonderful animated film & score of course.

Well I actually really appreciate members such as megabee taking the time to take these wonderful pictures, doing their stuff then taking the time to upload them for us, showcasing the steelbook making it look it's very very best. Megabee does an awesome job and he does it voluntarily so a big thanks from me. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: megabee
I picked mine up in the Zavvi sale and used the point I had.....cost about £7.
It arrived today - very nice steelbook IMO....not seen the film yet