Jan 28, 2013
South Korea
Kimchidvd Exclusive #15. :D
Drive
Release date: September
Price: TBA
Buy link: Drive - Kimchidvd Exclusive
Package detail: TBA
Artwork: TBA, Designed by Plain archive (2nd collaboration title)

Teaser image

?? -drive_teaser.jpg

List of Kimchidvd Exclusive SteelBook Editions

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as i love kimchi tony and choi for their way of releasing steelbooks and the great work. I dont know what i really think about this release...

cool,not cool, cool, not cool!

But please stop going through the list of "rare" steelbooks.

;)

Reactions: TobinFrost
I'm sure it will look great, but id rather have them pick a different movie..

Blade Runner, Dredd, The Rock, .. there are million movies without a great steelbook release.. and the price of importing this will be similar to just buying the hmv version on ebay, so it doesnt even help those who missed out

I wonder how zavvi are gonna react to this …from where i’m sitting it looks like some asian retailers are getting increasingly aggressive in how they go after zavvi’s customers… its getting really obvious now after such an obscure title as I Saw The devil “coincidently” :hilarious: gets an asian announcement like a week after zavvi’s one goes live :movie:

….a little healthy competition is always good, but it’d be nice if the asian retailers cld at least show some imagination and at least try and come up with reprints that has not already been announced by zavvi :movie:

….or even *gasp* a film that has not already been released as a steelbook :naughty:
https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=121

Plain Archive already had been working on releasing a collectors edition of "I Saw The Devil" but Zavvi announced it first! ;)

Don't see Plain Archive copying Zavvi.....IMO :hilarious:

Last edited:
Reactions: harry
Secondly, it does seem that companies like Kimchi are now purely releasing films they KNOW will sell out ASAP. Not going to argue with the business logic of that strategy, it's a great model. But as others have said there are SOOOO many films that have never had a steelbook release of any kind that it is getting a bit ludicrous to see the same few over and over.

Disagree. Amelie, Perfume, the Pianist and Infernal Affairs don't fit with what you just said. These were risky, and niche, titles to choose.

Disagree. Amelie, Perfume, the Pianist and Infernal Affairs don't fit with what you just said. These were risky, and niche, titles to choose.

amelie wasnt risky at all the way they made certain collectors buy up to 7 copies of the same steelbook by offering supposedly different editions..

Reactions: Marina Blue
Waiting for the full gloss mondo version, quite happy with my HMV copy till then. :)

Would have preferred they looked at another film like Dredd which many would love over this!

Reactions: nkb32

Disagree. Five announcements so far this year. One is a niche title (Perfume), the rest are all new editions of films that already have Steelbooks (Drive, Iron Man, Rush and Snowpiercer). Not only that but they are all titles that got quite a lot of hype with their original releases. It seems that Kimchi are just seeing what is popular and doing their own versions.

Reactions: hatredhorror
Versions people will be willing to spend whooole heaps of money on without complaining, too. It's a good strategy, sure, but it ends up with some films having a ton of steelbooks, made simply because other releases were well received, while other quality movies are ignored because they haven't been released previously and became grails/aren't heavily into the public consciousness.

Disagree. Five announcements so far this year. One is a niche title (Perfume), the rest are all new editions of films that already have Steelbooks (Drive, Iron Man, Rush and Snowpiercer). Not only that but they are all titles that got quite a lot of hype with their original releases. It seems that Kimchi are just seeing what is popular and doing their own versions.

Which they're entitled to do. The point is that the other titles I listed that are being released are certainly not so-called popular titles. If they keep mixing it up and throwing these titles in then I don't see a problem.

Reactions: earthscope
Drive has been teased from Kimchidvd since the release of Terminator 2. I don't know why so many people are complaining. Everyone knew it was going to come eventually.

A lot of the films that they release exclusives of are ones that haven't been released in Korea yet. I doubt they're too worried about what the UK released 5000+ miles away back in 2012. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.