'Rare'/'Limited'/'Hard(er)' To Find SteelBook/Other Metal Eds List & Chat

Sirjump

Steelbook Viking
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2011
Norway
*PLEASE NOTE: This list is a 'guide' only and compiled based on a variety of factors including community 'feedback' and 'suggestions'. Steelbook collecting is HIGHLY SPECULATIVE, and different collectors have different ideas of 'rarity', 'limited', 'sought after', and related terms-all of which may change at the drop of a hat with re-releases, or new info.

Please visit the Steelbook forum, if you have more detailed questions regarding specific titles, and their 'current' status, as this list is 'dynamic' and changes over time. *

I posted this in another forum before but I prefer this one, so I try again here. This is an ongoing list that combines a variety of factors that may contribute to the scarcity or rarity of these Steelbooks.-Sirjump

We started off with a "ranked" list, but as many folks may rank items differently, a general "resource" list of harder to find Steelbooks/Rare titles helps the community more. Feel free to comment so we can consider adding or subtract. -Digitalbabe

:scat:Keep sharing your thoughts & together we can help the list evolve!:)

Possible criteria as to what makes a steelbook rare/hard to find:

* General interest in movie
* Availability at retailer & exclusivity
* Print run
* Country of origin & region code
* Steelcase design
* (Initial) price
* Individually numbered items
* Print Errors
* Hype
* Price on 3rd party marketplaces

In alphabetical order:

300 (1st Release)(Germany)
300 (Korea)
1408 (Germany)
2012 (Japan)
2012 (Taiwan)
10,000 BC (Crackle Laquer Edition)(Germany)

A-Team (Blu-ray Ironpack) (China)
Angels & Demons (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Avatar Extended Edition (Tin Box)(Australia)

Back to the Future Trilogy (Tin Box)(UK)
Batman Begins (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Batman Begins (Korea)
Body of Lies w/booklet(FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Bolt (Virgin Metalpak Exclusive)(France)

Captain America (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Captain America (Taiwan)
Cowboys & Aliens (Tin Box with Steelbook and Book)(Germany)
Cowboys & Aliens (Target Exclusive)(USA)
Cowboys & Aliens (Dutch Media Markt Exclusive)(Netherlands)

Death Race (Media Markt Exclusive)(Germany) (Note: G2 version only)
Der Nebel (The Mist)(Germany)
District 9 (HMV Exclusive)(UK)

Elite Squad (Blufans.com Exclusive Viva Metal Box)(China)
Evil Dead (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)

Farewell My Concubine (Blufans.com Exclusive)(China)
Fast and Furious 5 - Mega MAX Edition (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Fight Club (Germany)
Final Fantasy VII (Asia)
Flammen & Citronen (Denmark)

Gladiator (Taiwan)
Gladiator Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Green Zone (Australia)

Halloween (Germany)
Hellboy 2 (FNAC Exclusive with booklet)(France)
Hellboy 2 (Media Markt Exclusive)(Germany)
Hugo (Korea)
The Hurt Locker (Korea)
The Hurt Locker - G1 (Best Buy Exclusive)(USA)

I Am Legend (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Ice Age Trilogy (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)
Inception Briefcase (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Inception 1st release (Japan)
Independence Day (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China) missing "I" due to misprint on spine
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (FS, CA)
Inglorious Bastards Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Inglourious Basterds (Future Shop Exclusive with dog tags)(Canada)
Inglourious Basterds (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Iron Man (Future Shop)(Canada)
Iron Man (Media Markt Exclusive)(Germany)
Iron Man 2 (Hong Kong)
Iron Man 2 (Taiwan)
Iron Man 2 - G1 (Japan)
Iron Sky with booklet and poster (Japan)

Jaws with booklet and clear slipcase (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
John Carter (Future Shop Exclusive Viva Metal Box)(Canada)
John Rambo (Amazon.de Exclusive with Tattoo sticker)(Germany)
John Rambo (Media Markt Exclusive with uncut disc)(Germany)

King's Speech (Viva Metal Box)(China)
Knight and Day (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)

Lawrence of Arabia (HDzeta Exclusive)(China)
Le Grand Bleu (Japan)
Let The Bullets Fly (Blufans.com Exclusive)(China)

Machete (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Metropolis (UK)
Minority Report (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)
Moulin Rouge (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)

Pan's Labyrinth (Germany) The First Steelbook!
Predators (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)
Public Enemies (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Pulp Fiction (France)

Real Steel (Blufans.com Exclusive Viva Metal Box) (China)
Resident Evil Trilogy (Germany)
Resident Evil Trilogy (Korea)
Rio (Blufans Exclusive)(China)
Romeo & Juliet (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)

Saving Private Ryan Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Scott Pilgrim (UK)
Senna (Ultimate Collector's Edition Metal Box)(Australia)
Smokin' Aces Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Star Trek (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Star Trek (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)
Star Wars Clone Wars (Netherlands)
Sucker Punch (JB-Hifi Exclusive) (Australia)
Sucker Punch - G1 (Comic Con Exclusive)(USA)
Sucker Punch 1st Release (Germany)
Sweeney Todd (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)

Terminator 2 (V2.0)(Japan)
Terminator 2 (Australian Slipcase)

Terminator Salvation (Blu-ray IronPack)(Canada)
Terminator Salvation (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Terminator Salvation (Taiwan)
Terminator Salvation (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)
The Dark Knight - Metal Slipcase, numbered limited release (Australia)
The Dark Knight (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
The Dark Knight-1st Release (Netherlands)
The Dark Knight (Japan)
The Dark Knight (Korea)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Amazon.jp Exclusive) (Japan)
The Godfather Metal Slipcase (Australia)
The Godfather Part II Metal Slipcase (Australia)
The Godfather Part III Metal Slipcase (Australia)
The Thing (1982) (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Thor (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Thor (Korea)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Lenticular slipcover)(Hong Kong)
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Tron Legacy (FNAC Exclusive)(France)

Wanted (Media Markt Exclusive Debossed Edition)(Germany)
Watchmen (Futureshop Exclusive)(Canada)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (FNAC Exclusive)(France)

Zombieland (Germany)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 514
Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Korean Total Recall rare?

It might be TW actually.. Got one ready and hovering over the buy button...

The Korean one looks to be OOS everywhere now so it must be the TW one? I say it's worth a buy, you will always be able to get your money back on it or at the least have a good trading chip!

Reactions: Chandler_90
The Korean one looks to be OOS everywhere now so it must be the TW one? I say it's worth a buy, you will always be able to get your money back on it or at the least have a good trading chip!

I was close to pulling the trigger.. But I've managed to get a Amazon JP Copy on preorder so I held off.
Apparently it's limited to 1000 prints.. I hope that's true!!

Reactions: Top_cat2 and Sigill
Needs to be added.

Thor Korea
Snow white and The huntsman Korea
Prometheus Korea with booklet
Prometheus Taiwan
Terminator Korea
The girl with the dragon Tattoo Taiwan definitely more limited than japan version.
Resident Evil afterlife Taiwan
Captain America Taiwan
Terminator Vigin Fnac
Shutter Island Virgin Fnac
Clash of the titans Fnac
Ninja Assassin France
Thor France
Thor Japan
Thor Australia
Once upon a time in the west France
Jaws Japan
Jaws korea

Last edited:
I was just gonna post that there is a TON of Korea titles that need to be added.

Jaws
Snow White and the Huntsman
Safe House
Terminator
Spiderman

Fight Club Korea? As far as I know, only 300 copies were released.

same as Alien Anth ...only 300 (apparantly) :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

The Thing and The Bourne Trilogy Japan, these are virtually impossible to find.

to be fair :rolleyes: who the Hell is looking for these EEK! they are Dam Ugly !!

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

I think it would be a FANTASTIC idea , If there was a Looking for "X" steelbook that is OOP/OOS & not even seen a picture of 1 ?? thread ??

what yahs think ??

would stop the Normal I am looking for X steelbook thread from beeing spammed to death from this type of thing ??

to be fair :rolleyes: who the Hell is looking for these EEK! they are Dam Ugly !![COLOR="Silver" said:
---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I think it would be a FANTASTIC idea , If there was a Looking for "X" steelbook that is OOP/OOS & not even seen a picture of 1 ?? thread ??

what yahs think ??

would stop the Normal I am looking for X steelbook thread from beeing spammed to death from this type of thing ??

Ugly?, by your standards yes. I do very much enjoy the look of the Japan version and am obviously on a quest to find them.

I merely made a suggestion for the thread, since both these releases are oop/oos and were released in a limited quantity. I am not demanding that they be added, that is up to the mods, staff, and masses (not one single individual).

Regarding the "...looking for X steelbook..." thread the rules state:
-"I'm searching for X steelbook"
-"How can I find this steelbook"
-"The steelbook is located on ebay at"
-"Pm sent"
I am only exercising the rules. If I am not following protocal please upper members let me know. I am not shoving my request down your throat and forcing you to find them or give them up. Can't see why it would bother you.

Reactions: prodigy1985
Ugly?, by your standards yes. I do very much enjoy the look of the Japan version and am obviously on a quest to find them.

I merely made a suggestion for the thread, since both these releases are oop/oos and were released in a limited quantity. I am not demanding that they be added, that is up to the mods, staff, and masses (not one single individual).

Regarding the "...looking for X steelbook..." thread the rules state:
-"I'm searching for X steelbook"
-"How can I find this steelbook"
-"The steelbook is located on ebay at"
-"Pm sent"
I am only exercising the rules. If I am not following protocal please upper members let me know. I am not shoving my request down your throat and forcing you to find them or give them up. Can't see why it would bother you.

this is a Public thread & I too am only commenting on wheather I feel such an Abortion of a Steelbook deserves a place in this "list" , just because its none locatable ?? I think they only made a few , because it was so Ugly ??

It wasnt a personal attack on you ! just the steelz :scat: as they are Dam Ugly to me , but not too you , so does that mean because you caunt find a certain steelbook that it should be "listed " as Rare ???

this goes for many other steelz aswell , I can rattle a few off right now , quite easilly :D, Rare & Hard to find are 2 different things , in my Book ;)

We all have supposedly different tastes in steelbooks , but judjing by most steelbook wants , we all want the same ??

it generally starts with IM ~ fs, then JR ~ Tattoo, then, R&J , MR, ect, ect .. so predictable now !!

I actually applaude you mate !! you are different & I am actually agree with what you are saying .,.:thumbs:

Reactions: Steelknight47
Top cat2: I think they only made a few , because it was so Ugly ??

:hilarious: That statement really cracked me up, I am assuming it was meant to be humorous. Yes, many members (but not all) find it ugly, though I on the other hand think find them gorgeous. I am a sucker for asian lettered slips :drool:. Furthermore, you are right numerous factors go into what is classified as rare & hard to find. So, only suggestions can be made at the moment till the factors are sorted. To finish, thanks for the input mate :).

One last thing, when it was available on amazon.jp I actually held off from purchasing them. The reason I held off was because I didn't think they were debossed, by the time I found out it was too late. I look back and wish I pulled the trigger. I suppose I will have to settle with the Play versions.

Top cat2: I think they only made a few , because it was so Ugly ??

:hilarious: That statement really cracked me up, I am assuming it was meant to be humorous. Yes, many members (but not all) find it ugly, though I on the other hand think find them gorgeous. I am a sucker for asian lettered slips :drool:. Furthermore, you are right numerous factors go into what is classified as rare & hard to find. So, only suggestions can be made at the moment till the factors are sorted. To finish, thanks for the input mate :).

One last thing, when it was available on amazon.jp I actually held off from purchasing them. The reason I held off was because I didn't think they were debossed, by the time I found out it was too late. I look back and wish I pulled the trigger. I suppose I will have to settle with the Play versions.

Arhhhh, now the penny drops :emb:

embossed EEK! ~ no wonder there are none to be had :rolleyes: ~ this I didnt know ??

I think only 1 guy on here will have Japan steelz in Quantaties ~ Mr Chips has shares in amazon Japan !!

But its true !! they are available on 3rd part sellers & I have Japan contacts who can get these for you If they wont deliver to your addy in USA ??

As I had this problem , wit a few Japan steelbooks when they wont post to me :( , so I got a Japan guy now who gets them for me :thumbs: & you If you want :D

The Thing ~ is actually very cultish looking and grusome aswell , I too should have aquired this steel , but Horizontals is not my Forte :ohno:

there will be more Horizontals than you can poke a stick at from Japan after Christmas :hilarious:

wait and see ??

Like your style man !! :scat: "mods" put this in the List :drool:

Thanks, but I decided to stop looking for them. I was driving myself nuts, the stress is not worth it.

I nearly had anxiaty attack a few weeks ago looking for some items EEK!

you have to stay focused & be realistic abouty what you want ?? and what you need :thumbs:

quite simpl put !! there is not enough rare items to go around any more :ohno: as there is just way too many New Collectors who stereo type every one else & want the same thing even If they just start Collecting after 1 week :hilarious:

too much :facepalm: just pre order every Asian title & every fnac & every exclusive & youll be right mate :hilarious:

Last edited:
i was thinking about this and with all the rereleases that keep coming out i feel like the most valuable steels besides the holy grails such as rambo/ironman/t2v2 will start to be blufans. As they cant be copied or rereleased and steelbook popularity grows it makes logical sense that these will become much more sought after and there will be no other versions for someone to get. There popularity continues to grow exponentially as shown by the interest in rio. i just think its interesting to consider as im sure more and more releases will come and these beginning releases such as FMC and LTBF will become true grails. All this is just imo but makes me happy that i have 1 of each.

Reactions: Top_cat2
Time for an update to the rare list, mods, as 2012 comes to a close. It has been a smashing year for steel collecting, and in many ways, a landmark year for steelbooks and the like.

It is a year when everyone comes to an almost similar consensus what are the holy grails, the average price of steel crept upwards, and rare steel even more, and new collectors popped up everywhere in the world.

This is the year when Asian slips soared like a phoenix, but dived just as quickly like a falling rock, whilst FNAC retained its worldwide appeal.

This is the year that the German retailers killed their own market with re-releases (Zombieland, Matrix, Faster etc), and Futureshop loses its lustre a little with no likely grail on offer (most valuable FS steel on offer? John Carter).

This is the year Play UK released so many steels I lost count, and Singapore had its 15 minutes of fame with Avengers embossed slipcover VMB.

This is the year of the Lenticular (Transformers HK, Media Markt steels), the year to say hello and goodbye to blufans and the term "world exclusive" became a truly rare and dying breed.

This is the year John Rambo tattoo sealed with stickers became the most expensive steel in the world, but the jury's still out on whether there is such a thing as a factory sealed LGB.

I am so looking forward to 2013...have a Happy New Year, one and all at HDN!

Happy New Year mate, and yes I am still after the quest to find out which steel is the most expensive in the world:

John Rambo vs Le Grande Bleu

We will carry on this debate for 2013!