Wreck-It Ralph (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive: The Disney Collection #4)[UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: January 20th, 2014
Purchase link: Wreck-It Ralph
Price: £19.99
Notes: Limited to 4000 units, matte finish, debossed border, embossed title, back cover and inside artwork, 1-disc edition

The others: Zavvi Exclusive: The Disney Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

10842987-1376567345-598984.jpg

10842987-1376567345-598966.jpg

10842987-1378296993-431385.jpg

10842987-1378296993-431411.jpg
Actual pics thanks to catcc003:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny how some people already have it but the zavvi site says it comes out on the 20th and is available for preorder.
Nevertheless, I think I like it, but I wouldn't buy it.

Don't know what to think about it. It's either bad or good. Nothing special... like many recent zavvi-releases. I think that if a Aladdin steelbook would be released now and not as one of the first Disney steelbooks, it would also become nothing special. The passion in manufacturing steelbooks goes down :( And by association the quality...

I have mine I hand now.
I guess as alluded to above maybe people have high, no very high, expectations from the Disney and Pixar steelbooks.
Zavvi started with Finding Nemo and Aladdin which both had excellent finishes.
Since then all we have is a large price increase and only Matte finishes.

WIR is just Ok in my view and I guess Frozen will be similar.

The expectation when a new Disney or Pixar steelbook drops through the letter box has now gone for me which is such a shame as I really enjoy collecting Disney blu ray.

I will just carry on collecting versions with slip covers instead.

I expect Frozen will be my last Disney Steelbook from Zavvi maybe ever.

A shame

Reactions: Gamesgaryjp
Ah I see, so it's purely personal taste at work. Was worried perhaps it meant they flaked or damaged easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's purely personal taste of MANY.
It went so far that I stopped collecting Disney/Pixar steelbooks since The little Mermaid because of matt finish.

A member tried to do the glossy finish to the Mermaid steelbook by himself, with some success. See here:
https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showpost.php?p=881218&postcount=1479

Tell me which finish you like more: original matt or glossy?

Last edited:
Ah I see, so it's purely personal taste at work. Was worried perhaps it meant they flaked or damaged easier.

Actually, they are less likely to get superficial scratches. But I suppose they are not as shiny as the glossy ones. But I find that in the past few months, most Steelbook comes with matte polished anyway so it's kind of futile to resist the matte-fication of Steelbooks in general.

Got mine and I really like it. :drool:

As I said earlier... I'd choose great artwork over a glossy finish any day! Although gloss would have obviously been nice, I personally don't think this particular steelbook really needs it to be honest (I'd rather it be used on steels with lots of bright colours).

I'm happy to finally have one of my favourite Disney films in steelbook form anyway. :LOL:

Reactions: Zephyr
Just curious as I've only been collecting now for about a year, but what's so bad about matte finish?

Nothing when done right. The matte finish must complement the piece, and in the realm of animation the last thing you want is dull color. Having a matte finish actually is not the problem, it's the grade of matte level (which judging by the pics appear to be a $10 USA Best Buy WB Steelbook "excluding The WB Matrix Steelbook's" level matte finish) which should be on par with the price. Premium prices should give us premium products but this is not what you see hear. It's good, but giving that it is Disney- good is not good enough. I refuse to pay more and continue to get less... a lot of us feel this way... but I'm not going to take it anymore! :cool:

Last edited:
It's purely personal taste of MANY.
It went so far that I stopped collecting Disney/Pixar steelbooks since The little Mermaid because of matt finish.

A member tried to do the glossy finish to the Mermaid steelbook by himself, with some success. See here:
https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showpost.php?p=881218&postcount=1479

Tell me which finish you like more: original matt or glossy?

Well I won't lie, it does look good, but better than matte, can't say. I more firmly reside in the "art trumps finish" camp. If I recall correctly the DoDonPachi Saidaioujou for the Xbox 360 (Cave Shoot-em-up) was a matte finish, but I love the art work for it and wouldn't care if it was matte, gloss, or whatever else.

Reactions: Zephyr
Just curious as I've only been collecting now for about a year, but what's so bad about matte finish?

Typically Matte finish steels are more prone to show defects or trouble in the manufacturing process.

Also, they are not as forgiving when it comes to accidental drops, issues in normal day to day handling - the paint on steel is what I would call more "fragile" in general.

Nothing - Some people are just never pleased ;)

Some of us actually open our steels :rolleyes:

Anyway, jokes on me. Had a feeling it'd be matte and my order went through. Needless to say, I've cancelled every single pre-order at Zavvi and only buying once I see the finish / in-hand pics. If it happens to sell out before hand, then I'll buy one marked up $10 off eBay- if I really need it, which I probably won't.

There's a reason Zavvi didn't state its finish. Now I hope they go out of business/stop selling steels.

Last edited:
I'm one who has orderd/cancelled again and again on this one and honestly after seeing the pics, I think it looks nice. I kinda wish I had kept it. I'm sure I would have felt the opposite if I actually had kept it :emb: anyway, I think over time this one will still be desired. The matte black doesn't look as washed out as I was expecting.

Some of us actually open our steels :rolleyes:

Anyway, jokes on me. Had a feeling it'd be matte and my order went through. Needless to say, I've cancelled every single pre-order at Zavvi and only buying once I see the finish / in-hand pics. If it happens to sell out before hand, then I'll buy one marked up $10 off eBay- if I really need it, which I probably won't.

There's a reason Zavvi didn't state its finish. Now I hope they go out of business/stop selling steels.

That's a bit harsh. They did go out of business, their website is the only way they can still cash-in.

Granted charging £20 for a matte finish 1-disc (3D less) steel is taking the mick. They should at least throw in a lenticular cover :naughty:

I haven't been collecting for very long, and all I can say is that Zavvi have us at bane. They now realise they can charge stupendous prices for a metal case and still have us buy it. That's where the problem lies. I'm sure most of us here can contend that is true.

Charging those sort of prices, exclusive or not, is making my money rarer than the actual steelbook itself :hilarious:

Reactions: Gamesgaryjp
I'm one who has orderd/cancelled again and again on this one and honestly after seeing the pics, I think it looks nice. I kinda wish I had kept it. I'm sure I would have felt the opposite if I actually had kept it :emb: anyway, I think over time this one will still be desired. The matte black doesn't look as washed out as I was expecting.
still available to order home slice.