Manta Lab x Disney

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Posting here for visibility. Feel free to discuss.

Hi guys, this is John and I hope everyone is doing well. Today, I am very excited and happy to make an announcement that from July, we have become a Consumer Product Licensee for The Walt Disney Company Hong Kong.

More updates and news related to this news will be posted but the biggest reason why we obtained the license was to create Marvel Steelbooks.

More info and details will be shared soon.

Thank you very much.
John

88A9EAD5-A736-44D8-BE39-8CF486823152.jpeg

robert-downey-jr-dancing.gif

This is going to be such a stupid question, but I assumed they weren't doing deals with China anymore which is why I was told a little while ago why Blufans hadn't done an Endgame steelbook. Have I got this wrong? Sorry I'm not up to date on th situation.

You are right . Blufans lost their licence and have had issues renewing. Which is why this has came as quite the shock today. It’s a shame really. Was very happy for blufans to continue the MCU with the missing titles and everything after infinity war.
I wouldn't mind if they did an actual completed Disney Collection unlike Zavvi would kept chopping and changing styles/designs then world wide releases got the same title-less / spine-less artwork

Star Wars would be great as we had that awful Vader Disco Ball head

I'd prefer if they focused on lesser known titles though, if that's possible.

Reactions: Steely-Booked
I will not be surprised if these end up being the previously queried discless releases. Note the terminology used;

"we have become a Consumer Product Licensee for The Walt Disney Company Hong Kong".

"We" being manta, the product and design arm, not collectong.

There is no disney physical media distributor in HK that I'm aware of, so unless that's changed, this deal will likely be for officially licensed packaging/merch (steels, slips etc..) only.

I didn't read all 4 pages yet, but had to guess, who this John is, the one from Maple street, or from the corner shop...

Those have enuff ! How about those that have none ? I mean, does this include TV stuff ?
I'm sure they'll only be able to release stuff already actually on disc.
I wouldn't mind buying the better examples of their conveyor crap streaming filler either, like Loki and Mandalorian, but Evil Disney is holding out on it.

"Alien" franchise at long last? Would love to have 1-4. Shame FAC couldn't go on after 1.
Oh yeah, I wonder if "Disney deal" means Fox stuff too. But, again, Evil Disney just isn't putting anything new from their catalogue on disc, besides those done by Fox, like Heat.

When I read the message I thought they were referring to new Marvel releases going forward. WEA premium steelbooks for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Thor: Love and Thunder and each new Marvel release after that.

Wouldn't that be a good thing? Nobody else is releasing WEA steelbook premiums for Marvel movies.

As much as I'd prefer to see Manta combing through the catalogue of Warner 4Ks, this does mean a chance of Tombstone, Starship Troopers or some Anderson and Ghibli films, the latter of which have never had decent steelbooks despite their gorgeous poster art. And if the deal includes the Fox catalogue even better.

Reactions: gAnX and High Cat
When I read the message I thought they were referring to new Marvel releases going forward. WEA premium steelbooks for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Thor: Love and Thunder and each new Marvel release after that.

Wouldn't that be a good thing? Nobody else is releasing WEA steelbook premiums for Marvel movies.
I’d be happy with that. Pick up where blufans left off and missed out. My issue is that won’t be the case. Because why would they just fill in where blufans couldnt?

So yeah, happy for the films that don’t have premiums. But Im sick of the over saturation of constant MCU rereleases.

This is all speculation anyway. We don’t know their actual plan

Yay and nay. Excited if it means they're now able to release Fox and Star Wars stuff, but meh to Marvel... market is already flooded with those.
I'd be fine with some of the stuff I missed, plus who else is still releasing Disney? Seems like Blufans is out and I got the impression that Weet maybe exiting too. That said, I'd really like to see Manta, Weet and Blufans work togther. Manta does the Steel, Blufans does the Lentis and Weet does the full slips and most of the OC boxes.

So many things they can do! Would love a Avatar or a Pirates of the Caribbean set, if only someone made a Tron Legacy set!
Let's hope Manta is gonna avoid marvel
Tron Legacy… with soundtrack(s) please
I'm sure I mentioned this on here a while back, but I recall John once telling me he'd love to do a premium for Tron Legacy, so fingers crossed!

Here's a concept I did...

#16 Tron Legacy.png

First of all, release TDK trilogy, Matrix trilogy, 2001: a space odyssey, Leon the professional, the fifth element, and all QT’s movies they promised. Then release pirates of Caribbean instead of these Marvel movies.
I'd buy those up through Pirates (maybe Pirate 2), but after that, I'd rather watch a Star Wars Christmas Special. IT's awful, but at least it's short (and there's only one of them).

I'd be fine with some of the stuff I missed, plus who else is still releasing Disney? Seems like Blufans is out and I got the impression that Weet maybe exiting too. That said, I'd really like to see Manta, Weet and Blufans work togther. Manta does the Steel, Blufans does the Lentis and Weet does the full slips and most of the OC boxes.
I mean, if they're only planning to do future Marvel movies, then fair enough. But we all know that's probably not going to be the case and that we're gonna see the trillionth release of Iron Man :yawn:

I mean, if they're only planning to do future Marvel movies, then fair enough. But we all know that's probably not going to be the case and that we're gonna see the trillionth release of Iron Man :yawn:
not having a lot of the older ones in a premium, I'd be fine with that, but do it slowly so as not to severely impede other older releases, as well current movies.

Reactions: Noodles
Personally, I will be saving a lot of money with this news. Any old Disney titles that I already have steelbook, I won't be buying. I will only reach for my wallet for any Marvel WEA releases after End Game because it has been a poop art mania.

imagine premiums of the original star wars trilogy
yes please
Grails for sure. I gave up a long time ago on thinking we would ever get the original three as they were released. Currently have 4K77 (ANH) and 4K83 (RoTJ) from 'team negative 1' and eagily waiting for 4k80 (TESB). Once I get the last one ill be putting them in some custom steels for sure. The only bonus for this trilogy would be the slips/extras if they were to come from any premium retailer, they wont be able to recreate what TN1 have achieved visually. Original 35mm prints fully scanned... rebuilt and released in 4k (colour correction, noise reduction and with/without DNR). Being close to or as good as the original 'virgin'