Manta Lab x Disney

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Posting here for visibility. Feel free to discuss.

Hi guys, this is John and I hope everyone is doing well. Today, I am very excited and happy to make an announcement that from July, we have become a Consumer Product Licensee for The Walt Disney Company Hong Kong.

More updates and news related to this news will be posted but the biggest reason why we obtained the license was to create Marvel Steelbooks.

More info and details will be shared soon.

Thank you very much.
John

88A9EAD5-A736-44D8-BE39-8CF486823152.jpeg

robert-downey-jr-dancing.gif

Interestingly this has been removed from their Facebook account now.
Premature announcement? Wrong info? Or just someone hit the delete key by accident

Interestingly this has been removed from their Facebook account now.
Premature announcement? Wrong info? Or just someone hit the delete key by accident

Maybe all the groaning about Marvel steelbooks made them change their mind in a hurry.

Great news indeed!! Now I just hope John will first concentrate on titles which don't have a zillion releases already, like Iron Man 2 and 3!
And for some of the more recent Marvel and Disney movies that lacked 3D (Ralph Breaks the Internet....).

Am not looking to double dip but have some blatant gaps or upgrades needed in my collection, so this is great news

This news is EPIC. Most especially because Disney owns the Planet of the Apes franchise. Oh how I hope they release the first 5 films in all the glory Manta affords.

First release should be STAR WARS pre/sequel trilogy!
Avatar sh*t can wait. Period. Until 8K 3D is released, which is NEVER. >.<

I just hope they don’t delay the Tarantino films even more so they can release more of the same Marvel stuff.

That's not how any of this works.

Working on these projects doesn't mean giving up on anything announced to date, unless the said project ends up being too much of a pain to get final approval on, such as a few titles that were scrapped over the years.

When they release title Y before title X, despite X being announced prior to announcing Y, it's simply because the work on Y has been completed while the work (read studio and talent approvals) on X has not.

So rather than twiddling their thumbs waiting, they work on something else in the meantime.

As a business, I'm sure they'll expand the team to have enough people working on the various projects that are in the pipeline, be it as a Home Video Licensee (Warner) or a Consumer Product Licensee (Warner and Disney), and working on the latter will surely open up more opportunities with other studios.

Think of it as a stepping stone for things to come. :)

The thing that excites me the most is that Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights are Disney, so a premium for those is now technically possible… :woot:

Last edited:
I don't get all the guesses and wishes. I surely agree with most of them, but the announcement clearly said - they want to do Marvel stuff. They're going to do Marvel stuff.
I don't know what kind of license they have, but it surely isn't for the whole catalog. It either lists specific titles, or groups of titles, from which they can either pick, or have to do particular ones, to be allowed to release some other ones. That's how it works.

You're not going to see any Fox titles, as that's probably a different agreement, a whole different lineup of films, even within one studio, plus Disney dissolved Fox's Home Media department, people left, were fired, or transferred to other departments. So they're not working on any new releases.
You're not going to see Star Wars stuff, as that's surely a whole other separate agreement.
You're not going to see Star Wars and Marvel TV series, as they don't exist on disc, and Disney isn't releasing them any time soon.
You're not going to see former Touchstone films, as that's likely another separate agreement.
You're not going to see Pixar steels, as that would also be a whole separate package and agreement.
You might see preexisting Disney animation movies, or something like Tomorrowland and Freaky Friday...